Foreclosure in Detroit>Question Details

Cleaning GuRU, Other/Just Looking in Detroit, MI

Is it illegal to Squat in foreclosed properties? Detroit,Mi

Asked by Cleaning GuRU, Detroit, MI Thu Sep 22, 2011

Answers

4
C'mon now, Armecia; you must know that squatting is illegal even if the owner is the bank.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 22, 2011
But the bank does not curate the property; essentially bringing down the value of surrounding lots. So if I take it upon myself to care for it, then I should lawfully own it.
Flag Sat Jun 29, 2013
Hi Armecia,

If you don't own the property and are not paying rent to anyone, it is trespassing. And, yes, that is illegal.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 22, 2011
Yes, it's illegal. Then again, according to Michigan Law, if you openly occupy and use the land for 15 years, it's yours.

" The elements of adverse possession in Michigan are: actual, visible, open, notorious, exclusive, and uninterrupted possession of the property that was hostile to the owner and under cover of a claim of right for a fifteen-year period. Rozmarek v Plamondon, 419 Mich 287, 295; 351 NW2d 558 (1984). "

Don't steal utilities. Don't engage in illegal activities or throw wild parties. Maintain the house and yard. Be a good neighbor and there's a good chance the neighborhood won't mind you being there. I know I wouldn't.

IMO the situation in Detroit is a little different than the one in CT and CA.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 1, 2011
Armecia,
Yes, trespassing is illegal and often destructive. I've had to ask squatters to leave a non-foreclosed property. He had entered illegally and we were forced to block the door until it could be replaced.