Foreclosure in 92505>Question Details

louis_diaz7, Home Seller in Riverside, CA

In California how many months must you be behind in your mortgage payment before the lender can forclose

Asked by louis_diaz7, Riverside, CA Sat May 12, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


Please confirm this with a Real Estate attorney, but according to CA guidelines, legally, 6 months of non payment
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 12, 2012
If you were delinquent in MAY, 2012;
You are really behind now!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 29, 2013
I agree with Alfred's answer that's you're looking at about a 6 month window.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 29, 2013
The answer is as little as 1 day after your payment is missed, however, this is highly unlikely.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 12, 2012
Foreclosure is a legal process. So, you should ask an attorney.

However, you have many options to avoid foreclosure and keep foreclosure off your credit. You can do a short sale, you can do a loan modification, you may qualify for HAFA and get relocation costs, etc. Please call us directly to discuss your specific situation. Our services are FREE for homeowners.

Eli Givoni, Director
Short Sale Department, LLC

MARS Disclosure for General Commercial Communications
Short Sale Department, LLC is not associated with the government, and our service is not approved by the government or your lender. Even if you accept this offer and use our service, your lender may not agree to change your loan. If you stop paying your mortgage, you could lose your home and damage your credit.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 12, 2012
You can see from the other answers that you have several months but please do not wait to make a proactive plan to deal with the situation rather than wait for the hammer to drop. YOU HAVE OPTIONS. Do you want to keep the home, get out from under it gracefully, modify the loan, or just need some time due to a crisis? It also depends upon what bank is servicing your loan.
Don't give up, i have a list of community agencies that can help. You are not alone.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 12, 2012
The other answers are accurate. As Alfred mentioned, please confirm everything with a Real Estate Law Office. My team works with a law firm that provides free legal help to find out exactly what is going on with is going on with your mortgage and what a loan modification would look like in terms of principal balance, term, interest rate and payment. He can also tell you based on your specific situation, the minimum amount of time you have in your home. If that is something that you'd be interested in, please contact me and I can put you in touch with them.

Because of a law that is currently set to expire at the end of this year, The Federal Mortgage Debt Relief Act, it is adventageous to you to work through things in a timely manner or you may have tax consequences.

I'm also including a link to a non-profit consumer advocacy group that I'm a part of that does all we can to protect homeowners.

If you're like me, you want the best information to help you make the right decision for your family. Please contact me with any other questions.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 12, 2012
Hi Louis,
The guideline is after a minimum of 3 months without payments, the lender can initiate foreclosure proceedings. The foreclosure is a minimum 3 month long process, and during that time you can still try to sell or refinance or modify or bring up the late payments. At the end of that three month time period, the lender can issue a notice of Trustees Sale, and that must be posted at least 3 weeks before the Trustees sale date. If you visit my website,, you can download some free information about foreclosure timeline, processes, and alternatives. Best of luck to you. Liane
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 12, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer