If the bank forecloses on a house, and I tear down the walls, rip out the floors, what happens afterward?

Asked by Guy Anderson, Little America, WY Mon Oct 8, 2007

Seriously! The Bank doesn't want my home - It's Mine Alone!

If they try to take my home, I Swear, I'll tear down the walls, pull out the floors, rip out the wiring, sell the appliances, break windows, and leave nothing by a hollow shell! Let them try and auction that!

My Question - What could the bank do, and would I even care!? Oh, and I'd take the door, for good measure!

Answers

6
Steven P Wood, , Jupiter, FL
Tue Oct 9, 2007
When you first purchased your home with

a mortgage from the bank,

more than likely,

there was a little, itsy bitsy, paragraph that indicated that you would do your best to make sure the home was well cared for such that the home would retain its value so that the mortgage company wouldn't have to worry about that which secured the loan.

If you do do the things that you are saying, you may have to answer to a judge.

I am not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV, but, common sense dictates that you would want to keep as many judges out of your life as you can!

A better solution might be to ask for assistance from

a Realtor trained in FORBEARANCE AGREEMENTS and Short Sales,
a Bankruptcy Attorney,
a Foreclosure Attorney,
and afterwards, actually call the mortgage company and ask for mercy.

Try to get a Real Estate License. Learn about Real Estate,

Go to Real Estate Investor Meetings (AND LEARN HOW TO SAVE YOUR HOME and possibly help others to save their homes).

There are many techniques,

that you need to learn about before you try any of them,

to save your home,

One that I really liked to do when I was able, was to do Equity Sharing.

Instead of borrowing money from family and friends,

sell a portion of your home to a family member or a friend.

The familymember, or friend, then celebrates later on if prices appreciate, or celebrates with the sharing of tax deductions, etc.

If your current financial condition is just a temporary setback, then the mortgage company and everybody else wants you to keep your home.

Watch out for those that ask you to sign things without understanding what you are signing and do not take their words for it! I tried helping a person that signed his deed away to an unscrupulouse "helpful" person.

If you just don't care, then you may want to keep your pillow and blankets, rather than the door. I hear it is a little drafty where you might end up.

I wish you the best of luck! We all need it!

In your same shoes!
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Tue Oct 9, 2007
The bank may deserve every bit of your anger. However, the bank is not a human being. It is a corporation. It will not suffer hurt feelings. You asked what happens afterwards.
Do you also hate all of your neighbors? They will remain in the neighborhood with the shell house that you leave in the midst as crack and meth heads squat in the remains of your old house. One of your neighbors might be robbed or assaulted by one of the crackheads, or worse. Finally after several months the bank will auction it off. The crackheads will move on, banks auction these nasty shells all the time. There is a buyer for every property, The house will be rehabbed by some contractor or starry eyed investor.
Search through the questions on Trulia, you will see there are hundreds of would be rehabbers who would love to buy a nasty shell house for pennies on the dollar to turn a quick buck.

What could the bank do? - Well, theoretically they could press criminal charges. I don't think that is real common since they would have to prove intent and tie the vandalism to the perpetrator. Hard to do, unless the vandal has posted his intent in advance on the internet.....
Mario Pinedo,…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Mon Oct 8, 2007
Guy,
I hope you take this advice with all the good intentions it is given: The banks are in a very bad position right now due to a mountain of foreclosures. Most banks are bending over backwards to help homeowners out of bad situations when the homeowners are communicative and helpful in the process. The other side of this situation is when borrowers do not communicate with the banks and the banks will rush toward a foreclosure with them quicker because they see no solution. Take some power back and make the calls (probably the calls yet again) to offer a workout solution with your bank. For their balance sheet it is better to give you whatever it takes to make you keep your home - for you of course it is better to have your house. Please try that approach again.
Teddy Jagess…, , Wellington, FL
Wed Dec 2, 2009
Why do that just let it go
Brett Dunne -…, Agent, Upland, CA
Mon Oct 8, 2007
Mr. Anderson:

Please remove your question. Thank you.
J R, , New York, NY
Mon Oct 8, 2007
I've seen homes where people did just that.