If I pay the past due balance, will foreclosure proceedings on my deceased fathers home stop?

Asked by Erica, Pennsylvania Fri Aug 2, 2013

My father passed away ten months ago and I have since moved into his home and have taken over the mortgage payments without the mortgage company (Chase) knowing. I did this because I do not have good enough credit to have the mortgage refinanced in my name and my lawyer said it would be fine because as long as the payments were made, that's all the bank cares about. I have since fallen behind on mortgage payments and started receiving letters about foreclosure. If I pay the past due balance (about $2000) , will the foreclosure stop? Also, about how long do you think I have to pay it? I'm afraid to talk to the mortgage company because they don't know that my father has passed and I'm afraid they would force me to do a new mortgage in my name, which I would never be able to do.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Sally Grenier, Agent, Boulder, CO
Fri Aug 2, 2013
It's time to face the music. The lender needs to know about your father's death. And it would be good to talk to your attorney and/or your father's attorney and executor of his estate. I'm not an attorney or a lender....but to continue along pretending like he hasn't died, and you making payments on his behalf sounds like mortgage fraud to me!
0 votes
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Fri Aug 2, 2013
You need to talk with the lender anyway since there is no one on the mortgage alive now.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more