If I close today , when do I get the Key?

Asked by Bangufogo, Brockton, MA Thu Dec 11, 2008

Answers

4
William Brok…, Agent, Jamaica Plain, MA
Thu Dec 11, 2008
If, by "closing" you mean that your deed was recorded, then you should currently have keys jingling away in your hand.
Lisa Curlett, Agent, Wellesley, MA
Thu Dec 11, 2008
Often times you get the keys at the closing. But technically, you should get the keys when the new deed (with you as the new owner) is recorded at the Registry of Deeds (of the county in which you bought your new house) - which can be an hour to a day after the closing. Hope that helps.

Lisa Williams
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Thu Dec 11, 2008
That depends entirely on what was written into your contract. Typically keys change hands at the closing, and the buyer takes possession... but the seller is sometimes given the balance of the day to be "out".

If the seller required a "rent back" (I get to stay here for two weeks after closing, and in return I pay you $500/week), that would have to have been written into your contract.

Check the contract, and/or with your Realtor or Attorney.
blaison samu…, Agent, Santa Clara, CA
Thu Dec 11, 2008
Check with your realtor whether the seller needs rent back or not. Usually, you get the keys when the escrow closes.