I went bankrupt in2010 ch13 we move out of our house because we thought they were going to foreclose then 2 years late the property is still

Asked by Denise Smith, Preston, MD Sat Aug 18, 2012

in our name. My question is Can we move back in the house? The county Records show the house is still in our names and the bank has done nothing to change it.

Answers

2
Peter Kedzior, Agent, Elk Grove Village, IL
Sun Aug 19, 2012
If you live in so called "judicial state", the foreclosure process cannot be completed until a judgment is issued against you. Even after the judgement and following "sheriff sale", some states allow previous owners to reclaim their properties (under some very harsh conditions). It is not easy, but it is possible. First you should find out if the lender obtained a judgement, then you may want to hire an attorney to inform you about choices available in your state.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sat Aug 18, 2012
As long as the house is still in your name, you technically own it. There are some legal questions over posession if the bank found it vacant and exercies their right to secure it and post it. The only way to know what is legal for your state is to contact a local lawyer and ask.