I want to find a realtor who can help me do a short sale. How can I find the right realtor ?

Asked by Jason, 94555 Fri Oct 28, 2011

My loan is with Bank of America and the underwrite is Freddie Mac.? How can I ensure that the realtor is competent and has handled short sales before....

Answers

30
Meena Gujral, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Tue Jan 3, 2012
Hi Jason,

I have been negotiating short sales for many years. I currently have three short sales with Bank of America.

The process is a lot easier now than it was before since all the documents get uploaded on the equator system which is the platform Bank of America uses now. This way they cannot claim that they did not get the docs when they were faxed to them. The response time is a lot shorter now.

Meena Gujral
H-U-S Achievers Realty
925-425-9491
Johnny Huang,…, Agent, Walnut Creek, CA
Mon Nov 21, 2011
Bank of America is changing their ways to help people in distressed. Within their system, they can help guide you with the process of loan modification as well as the short sale process.

If you haven't done so yet, contact the bank!
Joe Annunzia…, Agent, San Leandro, CA
Mon Nov 21, 2011
Hello Jason:
I would first recommend you speak to your lender about a loan modification. If your are not successful, I would then recommend you speak to both an experienced accountant and attorney to determine the legal, financial, and tax implications you would face if you sold your home as a short sale. I would recommend you speak to agents who either live and/or work in the San Ramon area. Short sales are more and more prevalent these days and many agents may have experience with either representing buyers and/or sellers in a short sale transaction. B of A typically requires the use of the Equator platform to process their short sale transactions.
If I can be of further assistance, feel free to get in touch with me.

Joe Annunziato III - CA DRE# 00872588
Annunziato & Associates - CA DRE# 00364126
510-967-9350
joe@annunziato.com
Linda Urbick, Agent, Blackhawk, SD
Fri Nov 18, 2011
Jason
The best way is to interview the agents in your area. Get someone who know the area. Getting a short sale done now is not as difficult as it once was and Bank of America is advocating for short sales. They have a complete package of information available to help you understand the process. I have a short sale negotiator on my team - very experienced who knows the right people at the banks to talk with and how to get a short sale accepted.. My job is to price your house right to get it sold and handle the escrow to ensure a smooth transaction. Linda Urbick 925-415-3046
Web Reference:  http://www.homesalespros.com
Lillie Missb…, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Fri Nov 18, 2011

I am an agent in San Ramon and have been doing short sales for the last 6 years when they really started happening. I have lots of certifications showing you that I have the knowledge in this area doing short sales, etc. As a matter of fact, I had 4 short sales this summer that I closed right along side doing normal sales as well. I have the knowledge and experience to get you tons of viewings for your home and possibly bring you in the buyer as well. Some of the more recent short sales have been with Bank of America. I have a great system down to not only provide you with the best service, viewings and marketing but also have and will worked closely with the banks to get your home sold in a timely manner. There is no cost to you for a short sale. I do the advertizing and negociaing and you can take a step back and relax for once! Let me handle this for you. Please give me a call at 925-628-9100 and we can speak further about your situation.

All my best,

Lillie Missbrenner, Realtor
Certified Distressed Property - CDPE
Short Sale & Foreclosure Specialist - CFR
Certified HAFA Specialist - CHF
Marketing Consultant
Your Real Estate Consultant for Life!
Better Homes and Garden (Formerly Prudential California Realty/Mason McDuffie)
Danville, CA
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Fri Nov 18, 2011
Dianne, Is this an answer or an advertisement? Just curious. This is actually a Q/A venue and not designed to support your adds. Last I checked we all have to pay for those.
, ,
Fri Nov 18, 2011
Do you want to keep your home?
DO YOU OWE MORE THAN YOUR HOME IS WORTH?
It’s a simple process. Complete a 3 page application
No upfront application fee. Home must be worth at least $200,000
If approved:
1. You will sell your home for what you owe. Then lease it back at a monthly payment 40-60% lower than your current mortgage payment. No need to move, stay in your home.
2. After the lease period ends, you can purchase your home at 90% of the current market value with owner financing!
Leave a message at 763-276-1338 http://www.houseleaseback.com
Carlos Chavez, , Bakersfield, CA
Fri Nov 18, 2011
ME!!! No joke, you have to find someone with knowledge in your area, someone who has successfully closed shortsales. When dealing with a shortsale time is of the essence. You must act now before your property gets foreclosed. Working with bank of America requires knowledge with Equator. Ask your realtor of choice if they are HAFA certified, that is a good indicator of knowing wether or not the agent knows how to close a shortsale. If I'm in your area feel free to call me ASAP.
Carlos Chavez
Realtor in Bakersfield CA
31 H Street #3 Bakersfield CA 93304
(661)332-2364
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Fri Nov 18, 2011
The best one in the biz in Cali is "Melissa Zavala" <mrzavala@gmail.com>, She's fast, fair and accurate.
Mike Linkena…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Fri Nov 18, 2011
Hi there Jason! We're a nationwide network of over 8,000 experienced short sale specialists. Contact us for a screened local expert offering no cost assistance. Check out -
Suzanne Look…, Agent, Lafayette, CA
Tue Nov 15, 2011
Hi Jason,

I just closed a short sale with BofA and we didn't need a short sale negotiator and intermediary. They have a very streamlined online system that helps realtors input your information, offers and other necessary documents to make it happen.

Interview a few realtors and choose one. If you have already received a notice to default a foreclosure date may have been set. Regardless you need an experienced realtor to handle the transaction. You should also consult a CPA to find out about tax ramifications if you haven't already.

Suzanne Looker
Web Reference:  http://www.suzannelooker.com
Pacita Dimac…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Tue Nov 15, 2011
@ Joanna .... not everyone provided a phone number or a link....
Joanna Jensen, Other Pro, Livermore, CA
Tue Nov 15, 2011
Hi Jason,

noticed every one was includingt their phone numbers.

Our Law Firm is Local,
Pleasanton - San Jose
Legal Realty 925 699 5041 Tony Bayard de Volo is the attorney / broker I work for and he offers a free consultation.

Did you try to do a loan mod? Depending on your loan balance lenders are now doing what is called Principal Reduction Alternative loan modificaitons, the goal is to get you to 31% of your gross or 115% of curent market value.
Joanna Jensen, Other Pro, Livermore, CA
Tue Nov 15, 2011
Hi Jason,
You may want to work with a law firm to handle your short sale.

A short sale can tend to drag out as Im sure you have heard. It is imperative that you have someone on your side who knows the law and your rights.

It is hard to know if a realtor actually specialized in short sales and you would hate to find out after the fact that you ended up with a deficiency balance, or the 2nd mortgage is going to garnish your wages becuase it was not handled properly.

Additionally some lenders / servicers are now offering a fairly large Cash for Keys to the home owner to do a short sale.

You definately want to do what is in your best legal interest with a short sale and not ahve the lender take advantage of you.

I am happy to anyswer any quesions for you and the Real Estate Attorney I work for specializes in short sales and loan modifications. We just negotiated a short sale in Alamo in a matter of weeks once we had the purchase offer, instead of months that you hear of.

JoAnna Jensen
Legal Realty - Volo Law
Rose V. Boas, Agent, Danville, VA
Wed Nov 2, 2011
Hi Jason,

Time is of the essence when dealing with an impending foreclosure, but you already know that. I know an effective short sale negotiator. Her name is Shelly Gornestein of Remerge. Call her at 877-473-6374. She is very resourceful, effective and a great listener.

I wish you the best. ☼ ♥
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Sat Oct 29, 2011
select the area you are most interested in. Go to a few Open Houses in that area. Talk to some agents that are conducting the open houses until you get some warm fuzzies. Then pull the trigger.
Harold Sharpe, Agent, LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ
Sat Oct 29, 2011
Jason,
I suggest you get on it asap as with fannie or freddie, when your time runs out, the foreclosure happens.
They have to get the short sale approved and close escrow before the trustee sale date.
Most agents have done them by now and they are pretty straight forward.
Negotiation is paramount. if you agent appears wishy washy move on.
You will also want someone who is on it.

Harold Sharpe - Broker
So Cal Homes Realty
(951) 821-8211
harold@southerncaliforniashortsales.org
http://www.southerncaliforniashortsales.org
California Department of Real Estate Broker License # 01312992
John Juarez, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sat Oct 29, 2011
The Medford Team has several short sale listings under contract now and we have closed others this year. I manage our short sales for the team. I am a CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert) and am very experienced with short sales.

Obviously, I would be happy to meet with you and discuss your situation.

John Juarez, Realtor
Prudential California Realty
510-673-0686
John@CarlMedford.com
Web Reference:  http://www.MedfordTeam.com
Ramsey Messi…, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Sat Oct 29, 2011
Shortsales are approved based on your hardship and financials (hardship letter, paystub, 2yr w2's, & bank statement). Have you gone over your situation with someone yet? These items will be critical in getting the approval and must be put together correctly.

Ramsey
510-435-6519
Linda Urbick, Agent, Blackhawk, SD
Sat Oct 29, 2011
Jason - I would also suggest you prepare yourself to understand the process. A webinar I attended this week featuring Bank of America provided a wealth of information for all oft he homeowners who have loans with Bank of America. Here is a summary of the interview and I would also suggest you pick up a copy of the transition guide referenced in this article: http://www.lindaurbick.com/shortsaleswithbankofamerica.html
Suzanne Look…, Agent, Lafayette, CA
Sat Oct 29, 2011
Hi Jason,
Since distressed homes comprise over 30% of our market, most of us are very proficient in these types of transactions. The best advise is to interview a few realtors, ask for references, look at experience level in all types of sales, (you never know, you may end up buying a foreclosure property), and choose the one that best suits your personality and that you instinctively trust.
Suzanne Looker
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Sat Oct 29, 2011
Jason,
As you know, this process is a mess! You have determined the consequences of doing nothing will result in the wost possible outcome. This is truly a hard but necessry decison.

Short sales are a time consuming, very complex and volitle process to successfully complete. The most important element in short sales is the negotiator who is representing you in the process. Secondarily the ability of your team to control as many aspects of the process as possible will work dramatically in your favor.

As you talk with shot sale specialists, those who recognize the previous sentence will elaborate. Those who do not will not be the best choice for you. If you truly want to know specifically what to listen for, you will need to contact me.

Annette Lawrence
ReMax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor Fl
727. 420. 4041
Johnny Huang,…, Agent, Walnut Creek, CA
Fri Oct 28, 2011
I had my house short sold this summer and I used Vantage Point Real Estate. Jennifer is the broker and she's very competent and has a track record for approvals. Website reference listed below and use me as a reference point.
Bernard Gibb…, Agent, Danville, CA
Fri Oct 28, 2011
I would suggest that you contact my daughter, Michelle Hensley, at (925) 785-5544 or michelle@michellehensley.com.

Michelle and I work at J Rockcliff Realtors in Danville. J Rockcliff is the #1 real esttae brokerage in the East Bay and Michelle is known as the "Short Sale Queen" in our office.

By all means talk to as many agents as you want to. Also you should definitely consult with your tax advisor and a real estate attorney (not just any attorney), but certainly talk to Michelle.

Then work with the agent you feel most comfortable with. This could be a long relationship :-)

Bernard Gibbons

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Bernard Gibbons, J. Rockcliff Realtors
DRE License # 01331583
Phone (925) 997-1585 - bernard@bernardgibbons.com
http://www.BernardGibbons.com
Marc Rosso, Agent, Danville, CA
Fri Oct 28, 2011
It is important to find a Realtor with more than just sales experience. Short sales require a deep knowledge of mortgage servicing, appraisal and valuation issues, professional negotiations and the agent should have strong relationships with attorneys, tax accountants and title companies. Someone who is professional and committed to guiding you through a complex transaction with dignity and compassion
Dave Farnswo…, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Fri Oct 28, 2011
I work with an attorney who specializes in short sales. Everything is processed through his team of seasoned professionals. Myself I have over 26 years and a thousands sales to date.
Lots of current references who I have successfully guided through the short sale process.
If you’re looking for a Broker who is hands on, has a proven track record and a great communicator contact me at dave.farnsworth@comcast.net. I’m positive we can answer all your questions and provide the best solution for you and your family.
Web Reference:  http://trivalleybrokers.com
Ramon Concep…, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Fri Oct 28, 2011
Hi Jason,

I'd love to offer my services to assist you if you need the help. The team I work with The Hagley Group has been doing short sales since 2006, has 100% approval rating with lenders, and is very familiar with working with B of A. I would have to say 99% of our business is short sales, we're good at them and get them done. Feel free to check out our team website http://www.thehagleygroup.com and our blog http://www.shortsalesheep.com. If your interested you can contact me at (925) 480-7183 or our team leader Cindi Hagley (925) 867-4663 for more information or to set up an appointment to meet with our team.

Also if you want you can google Cindi Hagley to see how well educated we are with short sales.

On a side note, I highly suggest speaking with a CPA and an attorney about tax implications and legal ramifications.

Ramon
Prudential California Realty
Terry Bell, Agent, Santa Rosa, CA
Fri Oct 28, 2011
Hi Jason! You will probably get a lot of leads coming real soon here! Check out the MLS for homes in your area and call the listing agents to see if they are also short sales. Short sales take a lot of work on the part of the listing agent as there is a lot of follow up and paper work to deal with. Plan to interview a few agents, as even though one may have more experience, you may just relate better to someone else, who may turn out to put a lot more energy for you. Best, Terry Bell, Realtor, Sonoma County Wine Country
Pacita Dimac…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Fri Oct 28, 2011
Look for people who blog about short sales -- read their blogs. Do they make sense?

Look for people who completed the CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert) class --- this is probably the best course there is. In our company, we require people to complete this class before they can do a short sale listing.

When you interview people -- ask them how many short sales they have completed the past year or so.

Google short sale realtors in your city, in your county.

There's quite a few of us out there....just ask anyone of us....

How may I help?
Steve Dawson, , Walnut Creek, CA
Fri Oct 28, 2011
First, ask any friends you have who might know of someone they can refer to you. Referrals are the best. If they don't know anyone, then look for agents on this site who seem to know what they are talking about and interview three agents. Ask to see references of past sellers they have helped in short sales and see if they would be competent enough to handle your property. Go with your gut, it will lead you in the right direction.
Web Reference:  http://www.brokerdawson.com