I rec'd a writ of possession 12/23/08. My husband is disabled and we have 2 daughters in school. I was told

Asked by Nancy, Cinnaminson, NJ Thu Dec 25, 2008

that the courts may allow us to stay in our home until the school year is over. Has anyone heard of this? They said they heard it on the news also but I didnt. If you did hear of it, how do I go about trying to request a stay until school is out? Please help, my girls are devastated.

Answers

7
terryriw53, Agent, Sewell, NJ
Thu Dec 25, 2008
Nancy,

William is correct. My wife and I work with people to help them with their foreclosure issues (and not all solutions involve listing their homes). At the point that you are at, you definitely need to consult with an attorney. Additionally, William is correct in recommending that you focus your efforts and funds in finding a new place to live. An attorney can also give you a better idea of what you can expect within the foreclosure process and when. If you need names of an attorney, please call us as we have a few that we deal with. But right now you need to find a new place to live.
Web Reference:  http://www.i-teamhomes.com
William Leigh…, , New Jersey
Thu Dec 25, 2008
Nancy: ALL the out of state responses to your question are not only wrong, they're made by people who are being extremely unfair to you. This is a legal matter. Only an attorney licensed in NJ can give you good advice about NJ law.

I believe that you will receive, in about 20 to 30 days, a notice from the sheriff's office about the date and time of eviction. I do not believe you can get one but honestly have no idea about any extension of time until the end of the school year. You have a whole semester to go, after all.

For what it's worth, here is a link to a site that takes you through NJ procedures. It should give you what you need to know. I personally would spend less money on fighting the eviction and more on finding a place to go. As far as the girls are concerned, I'm very sorry for them and for you. Sometimes our country stinks at taking care of those who are truly up against it. I hope things get better for you soon.

http://www.foreclosureuniversity.com/studycenter/foreclosure…
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Thu Dec 25, 2008
Your best option contact a real estate attorney. OR who has possession of property speak direct with them. NO MATTER what have all in contractual agreement. I would not wait I would move forward quickly as possible OR locks can be changed all your personal items now owned by new owner.
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Thu Dec 25, 2008
Nancy in most cases your time to fight was before they issued the writ of possession. You would have received a notice from the Sherriff of a hearing at least 30 days ago and notice of eviction much before that. The notice then gave you the opportunity to have a hearing, if you didnt show up then you waived your rights to negotiate. If the notice you got still has a hearing date then you will have time to negotiate then. There are also some situations that a judge will look at, first is why ae you being evicted ? if it is for non payment of rent you will not get the same assistance than a foreclosure or other reason. good luck in working things out, you may want to seek an attorneys advise.
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Keith Manson-…, , Milwaukee, WI
Thu Dec 25, 2008
I would suggest to contact your attorney and agree that each bank and situation is differnt. However, if you were served a writ of possession on 12/23/08 it would suggest that they are not being to forgiving. I would make the bank aware of your situation with your husband being disabled when making the request.

Good Luck!!
Marilyn Geig…, , 08034
Thu Dec 25, 2008
Nancy,

Thanks for asking.

There are too many missing details for me to be of any real help. Your attorney can give you more reliable information. If you don't have an attorney contact the attorney assigned to your file by the bank.

Every situation is different and every bank is different.

Good Luck!!

Marilyn Geiger
Weichert Realtors, Inc.
609-238-0465
Manu Kapoor, Agent, New York, NY
Thu Dec 25, 2008
In NY, i had same situation with tenent & the judge gave time till the school was over. The courts favour tenents in NY. For how it goes in your state consult your attorney, very imp if you want your kids to stay till school is out.