I need to know how sheriff's sales work, How do you get notice of one and how long do you have before sale

Asked by Mark, Muncie, IN Mon Dec 27, 2010

sheriff's sales I need to know how long you have when you are given notice of one before sale??

Answers

1
Bob Movin-On, , Hartford, CT
Tue Dec 28, 2010
The sheriff sale is set by the court after a judgment of foreclosure is issued. Under normal circumstances the sale date is set 45 to 60 days out giving time for signage to be place on the property and publication. But with the courts so jammed up with foreclosure these dates are being pushed out further and further. Also if the defendant shows up on the court date that sets the sheriff sale date they can ask for more time and in most cases be granted it. The courts do not want people to lose their homes so they will offer more time for things like modifications, short sales, mediation or deed-in-lieu-of agreements.

Good Luck
Bob Patrick
Buy a home after foreclosure expert
Movin-On LLC
Helping families/people that have lose their home get back into a new one in as little as 6 months