I have ratified a contract on a HUD home with a $600 water balance which cannot be turned on until paid. Am I stuck with it if I want it inspected?

Asked by Pghomehunt, Prince George's County, MD Mon Jul 15, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Akil Walker, Agent, Upper Marlboro, MD
Mon Jul 15, 2013
Hi PG,

Check with WSSC to see if they can give you a small window to get the water turned on and let them know the bill will be paid at closing. its worked in the past.

good luck
1 vote
Thanks again Akil. I'm going to try this and will post back.
Flag Tue Jul 16, 2013
Tony McMahon, Agent, WHITE PLAINS, MD
Mon Jul 15, 2013
You may be able to get a licensed plumber to test the system using air pressure in the lines instead of water. Make sure you get approval from the listing side to do that.
2 votes
Thanks for the info about this option Tony.
Flag Tue Jul 16, 2013
Jessica Hood…, Agent, Gambrills, MD
Mon Jul 15, 2013
No you should not be liable for those bills. Contact the agent that is representing the bank and let them know they need to clear that up. A delinquent water bill can also become a lien on the property so they would have to pay that to give you clear title anyway.
1 vote
Thanks for the info Laura, I was worried I'd be stuck with this. I'd pay it to get the house but would rather not if I don't need to.
Flag Tue Jul 16, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Foreclosure in Bowie Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more