I have been served by our mortgage company for non payment of mortgage. I am not on the loan only the deed.

Asked by Carol Mcelwee, Pennsylvania Wed Apr 30, 2008

What should I do? Am I financially responsible? Should I get a lawyer?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Deb, , Paoli, PA
Wed Apr 30, 2008
You are probably being given notice as a courtesy from the bank since your name is on the deed. Beyond that the only advice I can give you is to get a real estate attorney. He can tell you what options you may have to keep the house from going to Sheriffs sale. As realtors we can advise you on information regarding buying and selling property but should not really give advice beyond our area of expertise. We do come accross a lot of different situations in our business but it's really not our place to put on the attorney hat even if we think we know. I can recommend a good real estate attorney for you if you like. Best of luck. Debbie
Web Reference:  http://www.dhaleyhomes.com
3 votes
Maria Carter, Agent, West Chester, PA
Mon May 20, 2013
Contact Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency to get in touch with a housing counselor. This is a free service. Keep your eyes are the mail for an "Act 91 Notice". You may be eligible for emergency mortgage assistance. You may also contact PaLegal Aid services for help.
0 votes
Ncourtney, , Chester County, PA
Wed May 13, 2009
Hi Carol. Who is on the mortgage if you are not? I believe that any lien, judgement, or mortgage that is placed on the home (which you own) is your responsibility. I would check with an attorney on this to make sure. I have several real estate attorneys that I can refer to you. I am a real estate investor in the area and I specialize in helping homeowners avoid foreclosure. I would love to talk to you further to find out an answer for you and to determine what will work best for you, whether you can modify your loan, or if you are looking to sell the house. I negotiate with lenders and pay cash for homes in Chester County. Please call me at 866-3BUYER3. My name is Nicole. Good luck!
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more