I have a client who is thinking of moving to Simi Valley, CA. What are the pros/cons of living there?

Asked by Irina Netchaev, San Marino, CA Sun Sep 2, 2007

Is there a particular area that is considered better than others? Also, any info on public schools would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Answers

7
Christina Fox, , Simi Valley, CA
Mon Sep 3, 2007
Hello Irina! I think Bonnie has answered your question very, very well! (Hello, Bonnie!) I too live and work in Simi Valley. I have lived here for over 20 years and absolutely adore this town. I have a son who attends 6th grade in Simi Valley. He actually attended K through 4th at one of the fundamental schools Bonnie mentioned. I am making note of this because the choice of school should depend on the specific child. My son got into Hollow Hills through the lottery, however, it was learned that he has ADD and the fundamental schools are geared specifically towards kids that have the ability to "keep up", for lack of a better term. Please don't get me wrong - I do not blame the system. However, he did not receive the attention he needed there and I eventually placed him in Berylwood, where he has since flourished and I'm so happy!

As for the different areas in Simi Valley - we have them all! We have million-dollar plus homes on gorgeous hillsides with views of the entire valley. We have many options of the middle-class homes and condos. And we also have a few areas people would probably consider "the ghetto", to be blunt. With this comes our diversity of people, which I, for one, think it is quite wonderful! I am happy that my son is exposed to all walks of life, unlike I was growing up. The Simi Valley rating on consistently being one of the safest cities in the country is something I believe each resident here takes pride in. I grew up in the Midwest where we could leave our homes unlocked when we went out. I do feel very safe here and I can be a bit paranoid about safety. Something else to note is that many LAPD officers make their home here. I do not know the exact statistic, but I have heard the total of all LAPD and SV officers makes it nearly 1 officer to every 3 residents in Simi Valley. That sounds a bit high to me, but it is not far off, I promise you. It definitely is a family-oriented town as Bonnie has said. We have a multitude of park district services and recreation classes, the YMCA, the Simi Valley Cultural Arts Center, and the Simi Valley Adult School, and a new open-air mall, which is also dog-friendly (visitors take their dogs on leashes and they're allowed in most stores). I honestly rarely have a reason to leave town. Bonnie provided you with a link to our school district. Below is a link to our city's main page. I can send you many more links if you'd like Please feel free to contact me directly with any further questions or concerns for your client. My email address is homes@christinafox.com. If your client would like to view homes in our area I would be honored to care for their needs. We offer a generous referral fee to all outside Realtors. Thank you for the opportunity to "tout" my city. :) Hope to see you on this site again soon.
Wendy Pickard, , Thousand Oaks, CA
Mon Sep 10, 2007
Hi Irina,

I lived in Thousand Oaks for 18 years and moved to Simi Valley, Wood Ranch a little over 5 years ago. I love it! It is slightly cooler than Thousand Oaks and very little crime. The people are great and the air is good. Simi/Wood Ranch has lower prices than Thousand Oaks and you really don't give up anything. It's an easier drive to the Valley and Los Angels too!

I've sold many homes in Simi Valley and my clients love it here too. Wood Ranch and Big Sky are terrific microcosms in Simi Valley and these areas are what most of my clients prefer when I show them Simi Valley. There is also a beautiful neighborhood that is zoned for horses.

Good luck to your client!
Web Reference:  http://www.WendysHomes.com
JoAnn Levine, Agent, Westlake Village, CA
Mon Sep 3, 2007
Hello Irina,
Simi Valley is a wonderful place to live. In 2006 Money Magazine named it number 35 on its list of the best places to live in the United States. At our monthly Women's Council of Realtors meeting in July, we had the Chief of Police as our speaker. We were named number 7 as the safest city for our size in 2006 (approx. 125,000) and we had 38% less crime than 20 years ago even though our population has increased by 26%. We have plenty of shopping, especially with our new mall. We have many different types of housing ranging from townhouses/condos to large estates. Our schools are ranked very high and we have 2 fundamental elementary schools, gifted programs, a performing arts high school and also a vocational adult school. I have lived in Simi since 1976 and other than possibly retiring out of state, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.
Bonnie Sterl…, Agent, Simi Valley, CA
Sun Sep 2, 2007
I have lived in Ventura County for over 25 years. Living most of my childhood in Arizona and moving here to enter High School. I am a Realtor in Simi, Moorpark and the Conejo for about 5 years now. It really depends on what your clients at looking for in a community, what their financial abilities are and what they consider to be important. Simi has historically rivaled Thousand Oaks for safest community in the nation for a population over 100,000. One often taking first place and the other second, then vice versa. I havent looked at the statistics lately but they are basically safe and enjoyable suburban locations. Simi has a lot og good schools. We have school of choice options on "non" impacted schools. This means that you can select a school outside of the neighborhood school if the school you would like is available. Also, there are two fundamental elementary schools that you may try to enter by lottery for kindergarten or wait list for older grades. They are more structured school that have a more parents included approach but all school in the district require the same academic standards. I have a 9 year old attending Vista Elementary. Some families move to homes located in the districting of schools they prefer based on school test scores. Simi has good access to health care, cultural activities and goods and services. We are located close to the Valley and LA for even more choices Simi is more "family oriented" in my opinion than the Valley and LA.. The Conejo will be more expensive, as your clients may have already seen if they have looked on Realtor.com. I moved to Simi Valley for more affordable housing 15 years ago when I purchased my first home, a foreclosure. The Conejo (which by the way includes, Westlake, Newbury Park (where my parents and brothers family live, and Thousand Oaks) has a superior offering from the Parks and Recreation District but the two communities are so similiar and so close to each other, that I think a family will be able to find good living in either. Some of the cons are that people who are looking for dating opportunities feel that Simi lacks a culture for that because it is so family oriented. It has lacked some cultural diversity but over the years I have seen that change. My family has looked elsewhere in the country, considering Washington State, North Carolina and decided to stay because we are 30 minutes from the beach and 2 hours from skiing. There is just so much we have access to. It just depends on what your clients are looking for. If I can help with more specific questions, please let me know. If you dont have someone within your network that you would like to refer your clients to in my area, I would be happy to talk with you and your clients about their real estate needs. I am a very active agent who is pretty tech savvy. I received your inquiry a few hours ago on my blackberry and decided to answer you when I could get to a full keyboard since it is kind of a detailed response. Below is the link for the SVUSD. I can be reached directly at Bonnie@SimiLiving.com
Web Reference:  http://www.simi.k12.ca.us
Irina Netcha…, Agent, San Marino, CA
Mon Sep 10, 2007
Wendy, thank you. Weather temperature is actually one of the considerations. Appreciate the input. thx again!
Irina Netcha…, Agent, San Marino, CA
Tue Sep 4, 2007
Christina & Joann,

Thank you both so much for the additional information. Sounds like Simi is very lucky to have such wonderful realtors who live and work there!

THANKS!!!
Irina Netcha…, Agent, San Marino, CA
Sun Sep 2, 2007
Bonnie, thank you so much! I will add your name to my Realtor network for future referrals to the area. I will be in touch should my clients want to pursue Simi.

Thanks again!