I gave my house up during my 2008 bankruptcy. Bank of America didn't foreclose the property until 2012.

Asked by gm7226, Simi Valley, CA Sun Mar 24, 2013

I had a bankruptcy in 2008 after losing my job. Since then I've rebuilt everything. I decided to buy a home this year. I got pre qualified, found the home, went through the mortgage process and right at the end it hit a snag. It turns out that although we have paperwork signed off by Countrywide (Now BofA) and I, they let the house sit empty for 4 years before taking it back. Now I'm being told because the foreclosure took place in 2012 I won't be able to buy a home until 2015...7 years after my bankruptcy. My lender said he has never seen his 11 years in the business and his co-workers who have 20 years in the business haven't either. Has anyone heard of this happening? Can Bank of America do this? Do I have any options or am I totally screwed?

Answers

25
Eva Peed, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Thu Jun 11, 2015
My husband and I also went through a bankruptcy in 2008. Unfortunately, BofA still has not taken the house out of our names and in it now 2015. I have been fighting them for years to get it taken out or foreclosed on and they absolutely will do nothing. I called the bankruptcy attorney that had our case and he told me they can sit on as long as they want. Really? Then what is the sense of filing chapter 7 and giving up our home? I wish you a lot of luck. I know we are considering getting an attorney to fight BofA over all of this
The statute of limitations to foreclose is 6 years in NY. My understanding is that you have got a free home!
Flag Tue Dec 13, 2016
We are going through the same thing filed chapter 7 in 2010 and here it is 2016 didn't find out until last month that BOA has not did anything with the empty house sitting there ABSOULUTELY NOTHING!!! And now we can't buy a home until all of this is cleared up..UGGGG
Flag Thu Oct 13, 2016
why don't you rent it on a monthly basis? i believe you can do that.
Flag Sun Sep 20, 2015
I am in the exact same boat! Mine was discharged in 2010 they are doing nothing with the home and now they sold it to Clearspring and they just put something on my credit!! So I was looking into buying a home and I can't do anything until that is taken out of my name. There has to be a lawyer that is willing to fight them, I see many cases where people win tons of $ and get to the bottom of it.
Flag Thu Jul 23, 2015
This situation with Bankruptcy with property foreclosure is a long process in most all states. CA & FL are pretty quick. There is maybe a few more states, but MD, NY, NJ, DE, PA, OH, are usually a long process. If the bank still has to hold on the house, then it wont be released from you until they are released from the foreclosure. Bankruptcy only stalls the foreclosure process & when its discharged with no creditor contesting the bankruptcy they can not come back & try to get payment for the loan. If you are trying to get the property released faster, then a Short Sale or Deed in lieu would be much faster, then Foreclosure.
Flag Tue Jul 21, 2015
Maryland can take much longer to be released. Bankruptcy only stalls the Foreclosure process, If the bank does not contest your BK, & it becomes discharged, the Bank can not go after you for that loan, since it was inthe Bankruptcy. Bankruptcy doesn't Release the loan from the bank. So the Banks at that time can hold the property until its sold, if the property wont sell, then it will sit until they can sell it to a individual or another company purchases the property. Then at that time, the loan is then released and you will receive a Certificate of Satisfaction/Lien Release. Maryland also has a Website to show the Deeds being recorded once its been released.
Flag Tue Jul 21, 2015
For years, I thought I was the only one in this situation. My endless debacle with BoA sounds identical and I feel trapped. I too have considered hiring an attorney but I can not handle the financial or emotional aspect of another legal battle. Are you still occupying the house?
Flag Sun Jul 12, 2015
Barbara Klare, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Thu Apr 17, 2014
I'm sure you could kick yourself realizing that you could have stayed in the house all that time.

Banks have no time limit between Lis Pendens and foreclosure. There should be a time limit but there isn't.
Right! LIve there for free and save the money! or, rent the place, and be honest about the situation with your tenants (who I believe are protected by a Federal Tenants act that gives them 90 days to move out).
Flag Sun Sep 20, 2015
CA law is different for Foreclosure, then pretty much all other states. That is why is was so quick to be released in CA.
Flag Tue Jul 21, 2015
gm7226, Home Buyer, Simi Valley, CA
Sun Mar 24, 2013
This all went down over the last few days so I don't know the answer. I do know there is no foreclosure listed on my credit report. Because the BK is almost 5 years old nobody thought there was going to be a problem. Has anyone heard or BofA taking this long?

I was in the process of begining the short sale process in 2008. I was then advised that lenders were begining to go after people who did short sales and bankruptcy would prevent that from hapening. Then of course this happens.

I honestly feel that BofA is holding my life hostage in a way. Everyone who has gone through this process has had a fresh start rather quickly while I have to wait 7 years? Since giving the home back in 2008 I have moved my family 3 times based on landlords selling the home we live in or raising rent. I have young children who have now been in three different schools. All I want is a normal, stable life. But I can't do that because of this long delayed foreclosure.
I was discharged (Chapter 7) in 2010 and I included my home purchased in 2008. My mortgage holder was Sovereign bank which became Santander bank. It is June 2016 and my home is a zombie foreclosure. House never sold and I was eventually sued for Home Owner Association (HOA) fees. I refuse to pay anyone anything on this property. Eventually the HOA fees put a lien on my mortgage. I just got a call this week from a company called Rushmore Finance who claimed that they are now operating for Sovereign Bank and want to know if I'm willing to enter into a short sale or do a Deed in Lieu. I spoke with my N.J. attorney who handled my chapter 7 and according to his para legal she believes I should just ride out the foreclosure process. I am protected by my chapter 7 and may jeopardize that by entering into another deal such as Deed in Lieu. So I guess I'm standing pat until the house is sold and out of my name.
Flag Thu Jun 23, 2016
Lawdog980, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Wed Nov 30, 2016
BOA is a horrible bank, they are crooks. Please allow me to explain, in July 2010 m wife lost her job at the Post Office due to shut-downs and cut-backs. I had served 9 years active duty military and was currently a police officer from 1999 until the 2010 bankruptcy , I still work for the same agency with just a few more years to retirement.

Our home was never included in the July 2010 bankruptcy, we were never late on a payment, did not have a reason to include it in the Chapter 7. On April 27th, 2011 our residence that had not ever been late on a mortgage payment was hit by a tornado, total loss with my wife and I inside, our 8-year-old son at school at the time. But the home was completely destroyed, the insurance company arrived that day and started their claim process for a "total loss".

The first week of June 2011 we received our payout check from Erie Insurance company in the amount of $160,000.00 or so, Erie Insurance Company sent BOA they pay out of $72,000.00 to completely pay off the balance of the amount owed on the house. So we received our payout on our loss of property / belongings and Bank of America was sent their check for full balance payoff. We now owned the property free and clear and had no house on the two acres inside the city in an up and coming part of the city where residential property was turning commercial and the price of property in that area was BOOMING. We did not plan to rebuild on the property but see it commercial, where it would seell for several hundred of thousand of dollars.

Mid June 2011 Eric Insurance Company contacted us and asked us when BOA was going o cash their payoff check, they wanted to close the claim of the matter. We contacted BOA and they said they had not received the check that Erie had sent them, this went on and on for several months, BOA kept saying they had not received the check from Erie Ins. company. So, Erie put a stop on the first check they sent BOA and sent them ANOTHER payoff check for the balance of the loan. They sent it certified mail, several weeks go by the check is not cashed and Erie contacts us again, it is now SEPTEMBER 2011, the first check was sent to BOA the first week of June 2011. BOA told Erie they had not received the certified check they had signed for....

Meanwhile, my wife and I receive a certified letter from an auction company in Arkansas saying our property was going to be sold at auction in the county courthouse on a foreclosure auction. This was October 2011... needless to say we contacted the auction company who also made contact with Erie Insurance who proved that BOA was sent TWO payoff checks in full but refused to cash them because they wanted to steal the property.

BANK OF AMERICA ARE CROOKS
So... did BOA end up auctioning your house/plot of land off to the highest bidder?

I'm starting to think BOA just sits on items sent to them, as if they are too busy drinking coffee to do their jobs.
Flag Mon Jan 9, 2017
Paul, Both Buyer And Seller, 11968
Thu Oct 13, 2016
I have been using Inbedrock.com to help me navigate all financial questions regarding purchase of a new home. It is great help to analyze ALL costs of home purchase and their effect on whether house makes for a smart investment- very educational + easy to use- learn about closing costs, initial renovation costs, Title Insurance + HO Insur, Real Estate Taxes, Mortgage Financing (how much loan$ do I qualify for? and can I afford monthly payments on my income/assets?), Utility bills, Broker commissions, etc. Inbedrock.com also helps Renters figure out if better to Buy v Rent, and explains financial reasons why with a great graph. This is an invaluable tool especially for first-time homebuyers. Get smart with biggest investment of your life... Inbedrock.com
Web Reference:  http://Inbedrock.com
Horrisontamy…, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Thu Oct 13, 2016
@gm7226 I am going through the same thing now may I ask what did you do about it?
Barrettbear_…, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Sat Jul 23, 2016
I am in a chapter 13. I filed unsecured debt only. My mother and I have a house in our name. The bank claims I surrendered the house. The payments are up to date. My mother still is here. Would the bank or could the bank move to foreclose even if the payments are current?
Get an attorney.
Flag Mon Jan 9, 2017
NO. have your attorney modify your plan to keep the house and continue to make payments.
Flag Wed Nov 9, 2016
Vandersmack, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Mon Jun 13, 2016
I realize I am responding to this VERY late..... Just curious how it all turned out. I also filed bankruptcy and included my Bank of America mortgaged home. We moved into a rental, they changed the locks and winterized the home. They filed paperwork with the courts so they could continue the foreclosure proceedings. We agreed to it. Come to find out 4 1/2 years later, they did not officially take possession of the property until December of 2011. Now I am forced to pay HOA fines, late fees, etc. due to their error. I am just now being made aware of it all due to them not having my current address. Now I am being forced to pay over $3600!! B of A screwed a lot of people. So frustrating!!
you could file a chapter 13 and get five years and no interest to pay it off
Flag Wed Nov 9, 2016
My husband filed chapter7 in 2010 and while trying to buy a house in 2016 BOA have yet to foreclose or transfer the title out of his name. And it seems like there is nothing we can do about it. This is so aggravating
Flag Thu Oct 13, 2016
not just B of A, US bank did the same to me. I did bankruptcy discharged in 2011 left the house, they didnt take my name off the deed until dec 2015. I cant buy until dec 2017.if anyone comes up with a way to change things it would be great since I just found out while trying to buy a house. that was not on my credit report anymore.
Flag Fri Sep 30, 2016
Kisland5, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Mon Aug 10, 2015
Its not just BoA. I went thru BK in 2009 and a house I owned with my ex has never been foreclosed on & has been sitting vacant as well. I have also been told I cannot purchase a home until this property has been taken back by lender. The lender had changed to Ocwen, which was a nightmare as they also started hitting my credit illegally with late payments. Some sort of investment group now owns it, and just went thru the courts for a Right of Redemption in Foreclosure. I think taxes hadn't been paid. But the case is now closed and again - nothing happening.
Some new laws really need to be put on the books. Many,many people are being held 'hostage' by mortgage lenders like this.
I'm in Maryland btw, not NY
Flag Mon Aug 10, 2015
Tuohy318, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Tue Jul 21, 2015
They can remove you from the home. If you file Bankruptcy and you are not reaffirming your debt, then you can be made to move. You can still file Bankruptcy and still pay on the mortgage. That is reaffirming your debt. BK being filed only stalls the Foreclosure process. At that time the banks would work with you to stay in the housem, while in BK & reaffirming your debt. If you leave, the BK only protect you from the bank coming to collect the debt. The property is not released from your name until the bank sells it. Once they sell it, you would receive a Certification of Sastisfaction/Lien Release. Its qiucker to do a Deed in Lieu vs. Foreclosure.
Tuohy318, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Tue Jul 21, 2015
testing
Flag Thu Mar 3, 2016
Pamela West, Home Buyer, G.L. Lowery Industrial Park, Groveport, OH
Thu May 15, 2014
If it was a FHA backed loan, they should go back to the discharge date of the bankruptcy, I would try again, I have checked this with FHA too, and they said this is true.
Frustrated w…, Home Owner, Longwood, FL
Thu May 15, 2014
I am having a similar nightmare with Bank of America. I have done everything by the books. When I got sick and started to fall behind I called to try and work things out. They flat out said no. That was in 2008. In 2009 I lost my job and found a new one that paid less. I tried to modify the mortgage so I could afford it. They “lost the request”. So I requested it again received it and rushed it back to them, “they never received it” they told me to keep calling and maybe it would turn up. After about a month of calling everyday it got to when I punched in my account number the call would immediately disconnect. So I waited they finally called me after about a year. I arranged with them to do a short sale. Listed the home found a buyer, they said “we have no record of you being approved for a short sale”. After a lot of work and help with my realtor they finally remembered they had approved it. Then the buyer said backed out. I assume they didn’t want to work with BofA. Who would? So when the listing ran out I told them I wanted to do a deed in lieu of foreclosure. They said I could not do that unless I tried a short sell first. I explained I had done all of that. Any guesses what they said, “we show no record of that”. So I threw my hands up and filed Bankruptcy and the home was discharged in the bankruptcy. During the bankruptcy they asked for and received from my lawyer to talk to me. I begged them to just take the house. Their response first you have to try and short sell it or do a loan modification. I said I had done all that and I just want the house to go away. They gave me another answer this time. “our process has changed you will have to start all over again.” My answer I am done with this house do what you want with it. In the mean time some squatters are settled into the house. They are at least taking care of it so I won’t get fines from the city. But the live there free I can’t get rid of the house and I am not going to allow Bank of America to make me responsible for the house again. So I guess I will have to rent for the rest of my life. While the squatters live rent free in Bank of Americas house. Somehow I know BofA is making money on this. I think it has to do with the Mortgage insurance that I had on the house.

Flag Wed Nov 30, 2016
That is correct when you file BK, that stalls the foreclosure process. Does not relase the loan from your name. Once the BK is discharged without any creditors contesting the BK, the banks can not come after your for Debt Repayment. But what happens if the property can not sell, it will sit until it can be sold, depending on the area, prices, etc it could take a few years. Once the property sells, at that time the bank will release the loan & you will receive a Certificate of Release/Lien Satisfaction. In order to obtain new Financing, you have a waiting period from the release date the bank release the loan if you want toobtain Conventional financing. If your loan that was in foreclosure was FHA, then the release date is the date that FHA actually release the loan, not when the bank released it. Its much easier to do a short sale, or Deed in Lieu & file your BK so they dont come back to get loan repayment.
Flag Tue Jul 21, 2015
10 year career loan office here...sorry for your troubles...but yes MORTGAGE companies make A LOT of money on mortgage insured homes plus they get money back from the government if its an FHA-HUD home. I'm in my home now 7 years without making a mortgage payment. No foreclosure as I, too, filed BK in 2008. It's been discharged over 6 years now. The loan has transferred twice. When I did my loan mod & short sale efforts after the BK I didn't know it really wasn't necessary. I was doing all of it to appease the bank to AVOID foreclosure and stay in the home w/out payments for as long as possible (I put down a large down payment and upgrades which added up to over $200k the first year - cash - so I was trying to at least get my equity out of the house before I got the boot). An attorney said to me "you filed BK - you didn't need to do any of that short sale or loan mod stuff - they can't come after you for the debt." So I'm still here but I want to buy another home too but can't -like u.
Flag Fri Jan 23, 2015
Lisa Foster, Agent, Orlando, FL
Fri Apr 18, 2014
Im so sorry ti hear of your circumstances, I see BOA has reached out to you on this forum. Keep us updated with your progress... Im sure we would all like to know how this turns out for you.

Best of luck, I hope there is a positive conclusion for you!
BofA_Help, , Charlotte, NC
Fri Apr 18, 2014
We at Bank of America would like the opportunity to assist you with your inquiry on trulia. If you’re on Twitter, please tweet “foreclosure blog help” to @BofA_Help for assistance. You can also reach us at http://go.bofa.com/contact for a secure online chat or call 1.800.432.1000.

The first week of June 2011 we received our payout check from Erie Insurance company in the amount of $160,000.00 or so, Erie Insurance Company sent BOA they pay out of $72,000.00 to completey
Flag Wed Nov 30, 2016
I have been trying to work with BofA and get no where, they keep denying me short sale and deed in lieu, and then blame it on me saying I didn't want them!!!! and they refuse to send me any paperwork
Flag Thu May 15, 2014
Alfonso Oque…, , New York, NY
Thu Apr 17, 2014
Bank Of America cannot produce the Original mortgage documents so they can't foreclose but somehow they found a loop hole in which they were able to defraud again.
Thats such a crock B.S. statement.
Flag Fri Apr 18, 2014
chucksguitar…, , 19134
Sat Mar 15, 2014
I am having the same problem. I surrendered my house in a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy with BofA in 2010 but BofA refused to foreclose. They told us we had to move out, so we did as part of the bankruptcy. They sent someone out & changed the locks on the home. It's now March 2014 & they just sent me a bill for $1300 saying I need to keep the house insured. They are not going after me for the mortgage but they removed us from the home, locked the doors & are still billing us for taxes & insurance. It's absolutely insane. I tried to get a lawyer but they said there was nothing they could do about it since the bank was not going after me for the mortgage. We cannot force them to foreclose so this may go on indefinitely.
is it legal in ny to remove their locks?
Flag Sun Jul 19, 2015
I would change the locks and move back in. BOA is famous for this sort of crap. If they won't foreclose that means the house is still yours, even if you filed BK on it. Change the locks back and either move back in or rent it out and pocket the money. When they actually foreclose you can move out. Just my 2 cents.
Flag Sat Aug 2, 2014
same with me I did chapter7 in 2009, moved out and still get the insurance paper work and taxes. I just dont know what to do anymore. I wish I lived there for free all this time thanks bank of america for not letting me give you the house.
Flag Fri Apr 25, 2014
pamelak038, Home Buyer, Clarkston, WA
Wed Feb 5, 2014
I am going through this same thing with Bank of America, they still have us down as owning the house and that our bankruptcy was dismissed, and it was not dismisses, I have faxed them the paperwork at least 5 times a year and still nothing, now I cannot buy a home either.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Tue Oct 22, 2013
It will depend if you made your home part of the bankruptcy. You should have signed a deed in lieu of foreclosure and been done with it. you should ask the attorney that handled your bankruptcy.
I did try to do a deed in lieu of foreclosure, B of A refused to accept it, and they just told me that since I spent the last 2 and 1/2 years re building my credit so now I don't qualify for a short sale either. I don't know what else to do, they will not move on anything.
Flag Sat Mar 15, 2014
pinkelblak2, Home Owner, Springfield, MO
Tue Oct 22, 2013
At least BoA finally took your house back. We gave our house back to the bank in Aug. 2007 and they still won"t do anything. They won't put it in foreclosure, even though it was in preforeclosure in 2007. they won't modify the loan, they won't do a short sale, the wouldn't accept an offer that would have paid off the loan and most of the escrow account, nothing. I take that back they will do one thing keep adding penalties and interest for the last 4 1/2 years. Good luck with your new home and congratulations for getting your life back together.
Roy Bush, Both Buyer And Seller, Phoenix, AZ
Sun Aug 4, 2013
CFS Mortgage, http://www.cfsflex.com, has a flexible loan program. They allow a mortgage after a foreclosure, short sale, or chapter 7 bankruptcy. There is only a six month waiting period. This is perfect for individuals looking to become homeowners again.
Jory Blake, Agent, Norco, CA
Sun Mar 24, 2013
Not true, there is no California law that requires a bank foreclose on a borrower.

Bad advice,

Jory Blake
Web Reference:  Http://www.joryblake.com
Jory Blake, Agent, Norco, CA
Sun Mar 24, 2013
Thanks for sharing!
The single problem here is that lender guidelines base the 3 year period waiting from the recording date of transfer of ownership. There is no way around this that I have heard of ...Lenders?
The fact that they did not take possession sooner, and allowed you too have legal responsibility , was mostly likely planned and intentional on their part for reasons most consumers aren't aware.

There are certain cases where a short sale is not the best option, clearly yours was one of them.

Solutions- There are certain new home builders that offer interim financing for folks in your position.
Also, you can subscribe to "seller carry", "lease option" or other similar type listings.
You can also locate a short seller who is not terribly upside down and offer to assume arrears and continue making payments until such time you can obtain your own finance.
You may be able to locate a portfolio lender who will work with you.

Jory Blake
951.742.3751
Web Reference:  http://www.JoryBlake.com
Jory Blake, Agent, Norco, CA
Sun Mar 24, 2013
One more thing please....

I dont believe the wait is on the BK , it would be on the foreclosure.
In a general scenario,there is a 3 year waiting period for an FHA insured loan from recording date of foreclosure and discharge date of BK ( Im sure some lenders will clarify this point)

Also , you are not totally "screwed" , but will most likely pay a higher sales price and higher interest rate in 2015.

Had you of completed a short sale, this most likely would have been a non-issue as a new buyer would have taken legal possession and recorded in 2008/2009. This is also the preferred way to dispose of an asset and most likely reduces the banks losses overall.

Jory Blake
951.742.3751
Web Reference:  http://www.JORYBLAKE.com
Jory Blake, Agent, Norco, CA
Sun Mar 24, 2013
Ok, quick question for your lender....Did you verify the recording date of the foreclosure before telling me I could obtain a loan?

It is easy to print out a pre-approval letter and get everyone scurrying about showing homes and writing offers.

I have encountered something similar with a great buyer and discovered that if the lender would have taken the time ENSURE the client was "good to go" , it would have saved them significant money and avoided a great deal of stress and disappointment.

Please post your answer so other buyers can avoid this ...

Jory Blake
951.742.3751