I bought a foreclosed home over a year ago and failed to get a c of o now the city is taking me to court due to this what do I need to do?

Asked by Suzy, 48047 Thu Oct 27, 2011

There was a inspection done to start the process (for Certificate of Occupancy) due to the fact that the plumbing was stolen from the home prior to purchase and has since been replaced and plumbing approved . The repairs are small such as door stops and smoke detectors. I have owned and lived in the home for over a year without any communication from the city. Should I hire an attroney?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Pam Bava, Agent, Rochester, MI
Thu Oct 27, 2011
Hire an attorney but speak to the city and see if you can work this out with them. This is for your own good.

Good luck
0 votes
Karen Paytas, Agent, Clinton Twp, MI
Thu Oct 27, 2011

As a Realtor and not an attorney I have to recommend you speak with an attorney since there are legal issues involved. However, have you spoke to the City about getting the required inspections and getting the repairs completed? I would recommend that this is what you do. Most Cities don't want to go to court they want the house brought up to code.

Good Luck,

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
0 votes
Valerie Thom…, Agent, Chesterfield, VA
Thu Oct 27, 2011
Go to the city pay for your c of o and do what they require to avoid any additional cost
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more