I am on the title of two properties. On one I may have to go into foreclosure, although I am hoping to go

Asked by Jm, Oakton, VA Fri Oct 17, 2008

into short sale. On the other property I am a joint tenant with my son. If I go into foreclosure, will the put a lien on my son's house?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Rita Moriarty, , Ladera Ranch, CA
Sat Oct 18, 2008
Hello Jm,

There are different types of liens. Some are secured by the property. Some, like HELOCS, are personal loans that won't go away with foreclosure. My advice to you is to make an appointment with a foreclosure counselor at a HUD agency. Go to http://www.hud.gov , click on "foreclosure", and then "talk to a counselor".

Rita Moriarty
Broker Associate
Realty Benefit
1 vote
Vicky Chrisn…, Agent, Purcellvile, VA
Sat Oct 18, 2008
JM - No one can tell you what "they" will do or try to do. But the question of IF they can is better suited for a real estate attorney. You should call the company that did the closing on the property you're concerned about - whether you have title insurance (which they would have issued) could be relevant. Perhaps you could also remove your name from title, depending on specifics. As for the next level of your question... the one that you might lose - have you attempted loan modification? perhaps talked about a short sale? I'd be glad to talk with you tomorrow if you want to call me - 703-669-3142. You might want to also read this: http://therealestatewhisperer.blogspot.com/2008/06/what-sell…
Web Reference:  http://www.vickychrisner.com
0 votes
Cindy Jones, Agent, Alexandira, VA
Fri Oct 17, 2008
Have you talked to the lender about the property you think is headed to foreclosure? They may be willing to look at restructuring your loan. If you are considering a short sale you still need to talk to your lender about a short sale package. The package will tell you everything you need to provide in order for them to consider allowing you to list your home as a short sale. As far as your other property you may get the answer to that question when you talk to your first lender and you might want to speak with an attorney to make sure you have considered all your options.
Web Reference:  http://varealestatetalk.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Foreclosure in Oakton Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more