Foreclosure in Shafer>Question Details

Bri_c, Home Owner in Shafer, MN

I am in foreclosure am I able to take the central air unit, fridge, stove, and microwave when I move out?

Asked by Bri_c, Shafer, MN Wed Apr 27, 2011

Answers

8
I am sorry you are in foreclosure but remember that whatever that mortgage included needs to remain with the house. Any built in appliances, Any other items bolted, nailed, screwed or attached to the property in a permanent manner are part of the house. The includes the central heat and air, the water heater, the dishwasher, the attached microwave, the ceiling fans, the light fixtures and the windows. I am glad to see the banks going after people who are stealing from them.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 27, 2011
I have to gently disagree with my colleague. You may take what is considered to be personal property. But anything that is built-in is considered to be part of the real estate and should you take it (central air, built-in microwave, dishwasher, etc.) you will be guilty of theft and the lender could go after you.

And they are starting to do just that. Especially with big ticket items like central air.

Stove and frig, yes, that is usually considered personal property and it is common to see those items gone when the bank finishes foreclosure. Same with clothes washers and dryers.

Best wishes,

Steele V. Propp
Foreclosure Specialist
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 27, 2011
You can take the stove, fridge, and microwave as long as it is not "attached" to the wall in a permanent fashion. In addition, if you leave your home in fair, clean condition you may be able to get cash for keys from your future listing agent if you cooperate and reside in the home up until redemption ends.
My lender offered us $400 if we left 30 days early.
Flag Mon Apr 13, 2015
My advice is to call a real estate attorney and ask them. This way you will know by law what you can take without the bank coming after you.
Did you purchase, pay for and install all of these items separate from the purchase of the house? Are the items built in? I suspect the central air unit is definitely attached to the house and would be considered part of the real estate securing your loan. Fridge, stove and microwave could be freestanding, but if built in are part of the real estate.

I realize that you are mad at the bank because of the financial pickle that you are in but taking items of value that are not really yours to take is not a sound strategy.
If you own it, you can take it. It's your stuff. You can do a short sale and keep foreclosure off your credit. In addition, we will negotiate with the bank to try to get you off the hook for the deficiency. We are a professional short sale service and would be happy to explain the process to you. Please call us directly to discuss your specific situation. Our services are FREE to homeowners. We look forward to hearing from you.

Eli Givoni, Director
Short Sale Department, LLC
561-361-1909
info@shortsaledept.com
http://www.shortsaledepartment.com
Serving all 50 states

MARS Disclosure for General Commercial Communications
IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Short Sale Department, LLC is not associated with the government, and our service is not approved by the government or your lender. Even if you accept this offer and use our service, your lender may not agree to change your loan. If you stop paying your mortgage, you could lose your home and damage your credit.
Anything that is screwed down, bolted on, glued to or otherwise affixed to the house goes WITH the house.

I would like to believe that there was a misunderstanding about the central air part of the question. That's affixed.

Stove, washer, dryer, refrigerator, portable microwave, WINDOW A/C, drapes all can go with you.

NO to built in microwaves, dishwashers, central a/c, garage door openers, plumbing, windows, doors.....you get the picture.