I am going into foreclosure. I am having difficulty in finding out how much longer I have in the home. I

Asked by Jm, York County, ME Sun Aug 24, 2008

have 2 small children in school and I want to know for them. Who would I turn to? We are going into forclosure, because my bro was in a car accident and now has a head injury. We went from supporting 4 people to now 8. We will have to move out of state after the forclosure. Any information we did receive, we called the # on it. But the person/people on the other end have been very rude and treated us like criminals. The new school out of state will not have a space available until at least Oct. 1. I am getting scared. Will they just come and board up the house, or will they give us an eviction notice with a reasonable amount of time to move out??? Thank You

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Terry Reager, , Portland, ME
Mon Aug 25, 2008
Hi Jim,
I'm sorry to hear about your challenges. Your best bet for determining where you are in the foreclosure process is to contact York County District Court. You'll want to ask (1) if a petition has been filed as a request to enter a judgment of foreclosure, and if there has been a request for judgment, (2) ask if the judgment has been entered. Once a judgment has been entered, you have a 90 day redemption period that begins with the date the judgment was entered. During this time period you can either renegotiate your mortgage with the lien holder, sell your house, or get moved. if you choose to sell your house, you should list with a Realtor who specializes in short sales, which is when a lender agrees to take less than the amount that is owed and you make no money on the transaction. This is always advisable as it will have less of an impact on your credit than a foreclosure. If you go this route, be sure to work with an agent who has actually listed and sold several short sales and knows the unique characteristics of this type of transaction. Also, if you have your home listed as a short sale, the lender will often delay the foreclosure in hopes of completing a short sale.

I have listed and sold several short sales and have found each one to be unique, depending on the lender. If I can be of further help, please feel free to contact me.

Regards & good luck,
Terry Reager
0 votes
Jeffrey Camp…, Other Pro, Pittston, ME
Mon Aug 25, 2008
I did some quick research this morning and found this on the maine.gov website... it may be of some use.
Note the York county community action listing... they may help.

York County Community Action
York County

Chris Laroche

Jennifer Gordon

324-5762 ext. 2960
324-5762 ext. 2959

Coastal Enterprises, Inc.
Jill Lorom
882-7552 ext. 186
Legal Resource Organizations

Pine Tree Legal Assistance
Chet Randall
0 votes
Margaret Mit…, Agent, York, ME
Sun Aug 24, 2008
I’m so sorry for your difficulties. The Maine Bar Association maintains a list of organizations that provide free legal advice for those that meet income guidelines. Here’s a link: http://www.mbf.org/provider.htm
In particular, see Pine Tree Legal Assistance and Volunteer Lawyers Project on that page.
You might also call the York Housing Authority. (207) 363-8444 They may be able to recommend additional help. I hope you don’t need it, but The Maine State Housing Authority does provide emergency shelter. Link: http://www.mainehousing.org Again, I’m so sorry and I hope that these organizations can help you.
0 votes
Jeffrey Camp…, Other Pro, Pittston, ME
Sun Aug 24, 2008
I honestly don't know the best place to begin, and it all depends on what stage you are in the foreclosure process. There are various options out there... from selling the home quickly, short sales and crisis counseling.

I would recommend contacting someone you know will have your best interest in mind. A good starting place is daveramsey.com where you can find professionals that are already screened and could help you.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you find your answers.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more