I am a tenant and the home was in foreclosure but my landlords did a short sale on the property and has not

Asked by Lavern Jackson, Bridgeview, IL Thu Jul 10, 2008

collected rent for the month of June, now she is calling me asking for June and July's rent, should I pay her?

Answers

8
Daniel, , Baton Rouge, LA
Thu Jul 10, 2008
the lease may carry over if said lease was recorded at the court house! depending on the state
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Thu Jul 10, 2008
Contact an attorney. The lease carries over to the new owner, so from the point of the short sale, the rent is owed to the new owner. An attorney might recommend escrowing the amount, or some other step. Ultimately, of course, you want to make sure that the rent that's due reaches the person who is due the rent.

Wayne Beals, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Jul 11, 2008
Check with the Bridgeview Clerks office to see if there are any tenant legal resource in the village.

Consulting with an attorney to determine who has legal ownership of the building and any terms agreed to between the parties is the best course of action.
Nina Taranu, , Chicago, IL
Thu Jul 10, 2008
Depending when the sale occured. You should pay the rent to whomever was the owner -so if she still owned the house in June and closed at the end of the month, you should pay her June rent. I take it she is not the owner as of July anymore, so just wait for the new owner to ask for the rent. going forward.
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Thu Jul 10, 2008
If the property sold you owe rent to the new landlord http://www.lynn911.com
Nathaniel, Home Buyer, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA
Thu Jul 10, 2008
If your landlord kicks you out of your place based on a sale, they HAVE TO LEGALLY PAY YOU to break the lease. You need to check with your state, but usually it will be in the range of $2000-3500 depending on your situation. I know this, because I was in a similar situation a long time ago. You have rights as a tenant, and should NOT PAY until you know the situation regarding the sale, and if and when you need to move out. Regardless, if you have a lease, your landlord is obligated to pay you.
Vicky Chrisn…, , 20176
Thu Jul 10, 2008
these guys are right - call an attorney
Daniel, , Baton Rouge, LA
Thu Jul 10, 2008
I would think, if your rental contract is in effect, the new owner of the property receives your rent check. You contract may only be good if you filed the contract with your local clerk of court.