How to find out when properties are pulled from current months auction?

Asked by Danny HUnsucker, Harris County, TX Sat Mar 31, 2012

A lot of us have the same problem- thousands of properties every month are initially listed for foreclosure and supposed to be auctioned in the current month, and not enough time to actually go and put our eyes on every property we are interested in. As responsible investors, my father and I travel to and personally look at each property we are interested in. However at auction time, maybe 1 in 20 or so, properties that we have looked at actually come up for auction. We live in Harris County, Houston Texas and that is the county auction we attend. Is there any service or resource that updates foreclosures as they are "pulled" or taken off that month's list? We have tried calling the trustees listed themselves, most of the time they never return our calls or seem reluctant to give any information at all, or they themselves don't have the updated information till the day of the sale. Calling the mortgagee or title service has been not fruitful at all. If we knew what properties not to

Answers

2
Danny HUnsucker’s answer
Danny HUnsuc…, Both Buyer And Seller, Harris County, TX
Sat Mar 31, 2012
I apologize, my question got cut off; here it is completed:

A lot of us have the same problem- thousands of properties every month are initially listed for foreclosure and supposed to be auctioned in the current month, and not enough time to actually go and put our eyes on every property we are interested in. As responsible investors, my father and I travel to and personally look at each property we are interested in. However at auction time, maybe 1 in 20 or so, properties that we have looked at actually come up for auction. We live in Harris County, Houston Texas and that is the county auction we attend. Is there any service or resource that updates foreclosures as they are "pulled" or taken off that month's list? We have tried calling the trustees listed themselves, most of the time they never return our calls or seem reluctant to give any information at all, or they themselves don't have the updated information till the day of the sale. Calling the mortgagee or title service has been not fruitful at all. If we knew what properties not to look at, that have been negotiated, or settled, then that would improve our research and increase our buying potential and would make the whole process more efficient and better for the county and everyone involved. I am only interested in legal information, and not asking anything inappropriate but the system seems very flawed in that aspect. Am I missing something? I have looked into many listing services and none of them take properties off the list after their final legal posting date. Does anyone know of a solution, or workaround to my problem? I would greatly appreciate any and all advice on this issue. Thanks.
Suzanne MacD…, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Here in Morris County our County Sheriff has a website that lists auction dates. It is updated every ten minutes. However, as a short sale specialist, I can tell you that often homes are taken off the auction list just minutes before the auction is supposed to begin. A lot of that is attributable to the law firms hired by the banks to handle these matters. The law firms fax a postponement and then never follow up to make sure things actually got done. And the Sheriff's Department is so busy things 'fall through the cracks'.

It is more common, here at least, for homes to be pulled from the auction list regularly because the banks are trying to do short sales rather than foreclose whenever possible. Our foreclosure process takes about 2 years so it's far more cost effective to do a short sale. And the banks will continually put the foreclosure auction off as long as the home is listed for sale with a realtor as a short sale. But they almost always wait until the last minute to do so. Unfortunately, it's just one of the pitfalls of auction investing. The other major pitfall is that the banks almost invariably take the homes back thinking they can get more for them as REO sales than at auction.