How do i find out if a house im looking to purchase has any violations?

Asked by Christina1977, Riverdale, Chicago, IL Tue Feb 14, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Michael Emery, , Minneapolis, MN
Tue Feb 14, 2012
If you're talking about building code violations, you can contact the Riverdale building and zoning dept. (see link down below)
1 vote
Brian, Both Buyer And Seller, Chicago, IL
Wed Oct 10, 2012
Hi Christina,

If it were me I'd have my guy Mark the attorney who's really really good at that kind of thing, not only will he check out the violations for you but he can close the deal for you too , here's a little bit about what he does and his contact info , check him out you'll like him
0 votes
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Wed Feb 15, 2012
Building and zoning department is a good way to get answers, when you are talking about building code violation.
Good Luck to you
Edith YourRealtor4Life! and Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert and North Shore Specialist
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients
0 votes
Chicago Real…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Feb 15, 2012
If the house is incorporated into a city limits, than goto the City Town Hall and ask someone in teh building and zoning to show you public records of any violations or permits. Same applies to unincorporated property with county records.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Feb 15, 2012
I would speak with your agent or attorney about it. You can look up some of them online.
0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Wed Feb 15, 2012

What do you mean by "violations?" Generally a home inspection will reveal most concerns but anything specific should be brought to the attention of your inspector prior to the inspection.

Good luck,

0 votes
Bill J Delig…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Tue Feb 14, 2012
Every city has it's own sources of info.

For Riverdale, as Michael mentioned contact the Building and Zoning Department. 708-849-1798

For the City of Chicago go to:…
0 votes
Jeff Nobleza, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Feb 14, 2012
Talk to your real estate agent and real estate lawyer...
0 votes
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Tue Feb 14, 2012
Hello Christina,
A qualified home inspector will be able to tell you if anything in the home is not to "code".

Usually your purchase sales agreement will have an inspection contingency clause so that you can withdraw from the purchase if the inspection produces any problems that you do not want to deal with or that the seller will not fix or offer you a credit to repair.

Good luck to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more