How do I find out if a potential landlord I might rent from has the property in forclosure?

Asked by Melissa Herrin, Normal, IL Fri May 9, 2008

I was wanting to rent from this landlord that I have known for a very long time, but I have been hearing some really bad stuff about him. Basically about how he ows the bank a lot of money on the properties that he has. I dont want to rent from him if his properties are in forclosure, because I am not sure where that will leave my family for a place to live. I am trying to find a site to go to about forclosures in Bloomington Illinois that are free. I want to look up some of the addresses of his properties. I am scared that if I rent from him that I will haveto move if he is in forclosure.

Answers

2
Tni LeBlanc, Agent, Santa Maria, CA
Sun Jul 6, 2008
Hi Melissa,

You will probably regret it if you don't go with your gut. Don't rent from someone you don't trust. A search of public records will show if the lender has taken action -- but it won't let you know if they are behind on their mortgage and the lender has elected not to take action. Many lenders are also behind on filing for foreclosure on properties given the volume of delinquencies right now. So be careful. Isn't there a local reputable property management firm for you to go to?

Hope this helps!
Todd Norsted, Agent, Maple Grove, MN
Fri May 9, 2008
Melissa, If it's in foreclosure and been through Sheriff's Sale, and even if it's not, Google the address and also try Google'ing his name and see if you can find out when the Sheriff's Sale was. Otherwise, head down to the County Sheriff's office, they should be able to help you find that out.

Thanks, Todd Norsted
Web Reference:  http://www.toddnorsted.com