How difficult is it to change property from commercial to residential?

Asked by Tara, Springfield, OH Tue Nov 22, 2011

There is a house that my husband and I are interested in. It has 6 acres of land and has a nice outbuilding on the land. The house itself is in terrible condition and the price has dropped significantly (Over $100,000 in the past couple of months). The problem is that it is zoned commercial so the property taxes are EXTREMELY high. It is in the country - next to a residential home and on the otherside a home that was turned into a home/motorcycle repair shop.
How difficult is it to get the zoning changed for residential use only? Would this be something the bank would be willing to do to get rid of the house? We just worry about purchasing it and not being able to change the zoning!
Thanks so much!

Answers

2
Bob Combs’ answer
Bob Combs, Agent, Beavercreek, OH
Wed Nov 23, 2011
There is no definitive answer here because it does depend on the zoning board. They may be reluctant to change a property that surrounded by commercial property because they may look at it as losing tax dollars. On the other hand they may bend to see the property sold rather than sit vacant. If the property is owned by a local bank your odds are better. If its owned by a large bank, they probably won't bother.

If you want to get in touch with me I'd be happy to talk through some options with you.
Linda S. Cef…, Agent, Franklin, WI
Tue Nov 22, 2011
Tara Sue,

You should be able to obtain that answer prior to purchase. Check with the town, municipality and city ordinances. Ask for zoning and planning. Sometimes they actually want certain properties to be turned back to residential depending on what else is going on in the neighborhood. It could be a long drawn out process, but it could also go very quickly depending on the town/county.

Hope you are able to accomplish what you are trying to do.