Foreclosure in Seattle>Question Details

Drbemore, Renter in Seatac, WA

How can I check to see if a rental is in foreclosure?

Asked by Drbemore, Seatac, WA Mon Aug 16, 2010

Answers

11
I am a realtor. Call your county courthouse and ask the clerk of court if there are any foreclosures in the name of the owner of the property.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 19, 2010
There alot of ways to find the information out. However the quickest is to pick up the phone and call a title company. They should be able to tell you right away.
The local government should have a website. Google the clerk of courts. There you should be able to locate the Lis Pendens that have been filed against a homeowner. This is the first notification that foreclosure proceeding have begun. If you are renting and you have a lease, check with a local attorney about your rights as a tenant. Those rights very from State to State.
Hello

Oh my. If you are even thinking this is an issue then you will be the one most at risk of being caught off guard.
I would consider doing a bit of homework yourself. Plan 3 hours of your day and visit the county court house down on 3rd and James. Have your landlord's name/address with you and search the public records for yourself.

Yes, you can probably find out online or via an agent, but I have experience with the Foreclosure Auctions and can tell you that there is a lag in the data found on most websites. It usually takes about 10 business days for the records to show up on websites. The most accurate information will be done in person with the actual recorded documents filed with the county.

Also, gather all of YOUR documentation, rent check records, bank statements, lease documents and the like. If the home is foreclosed upon and you are a contracted renter, then you have 90 days from when the new owner delivers a notice via certified mail.

Don't take my word for it, do your homework if this is even suspected!
Federal Law that passed May 20 2009 states that your landlord must give you a 90day notice. Yes you must continue to pay rent. this is fed. protected. notify you landlord you know of the The Protecting Tenants at Forclosure Act of 2009 and you plan on exer. your right if they give you any scuff seek legal help.
FYI in the state of Washington the renter also must be served by the buyer a 60day notice. Thats 5 months.
Hope this is useless info but if you need it I was glade to be of help. Do you have kids if so there is even more protectin laws hope I helped . Good Luck.
wow this is a first all great advise all will work.
I find it faster to call a title company. they can answer the question before you hang up the phone.
Engage a Realtor. Realtors have access to a database called Realist that shows whether a home is in a foreclosure/auction status.
Irene below is right - you really need to go to the source and make sure. There are some nightmare stories about renters being displaced so it is a smart thing to check on.
Call or email a reputable local real estate agent.
Try this website, it's the one the lawyers for the banks use to post their foreclosures.

USA-Foreclosure.com

Best to you.

HLR, Certified Residential Appraiser for Oregon & Washington
35 years experience, 15 of those in the Puget Sound area.
I would call or email your local real estate agent. They shouldnt have any issue finding this information out for you.