How can I avoid getting scammed by RealtyTrac -- they charged my credit card several times even though I cancelled their service. I was billed $59.95

Asked by Barbara Bauer, Oakland, NJ Tue Mar 30, 2010

I was also charged by 'affiliate companies' and RealtyTrac gave me numbers to contact them for a credit which were disconnected. The information they provided on foreclosures and pre-foreclosures was inaccurate and completely different from county tax records (i.e., a unit in a 35-family apartment building listed as a single family home). They are a huge scam right?

Answers

3
David Chiles, Other Pro, Los Angeles, CA
Wed Aug 4, 2010
RealtyTrac is not for the average investor, it provides information only a professional would need because there are so many discrepencies and other factors involved in the information they provide. They provide what the courts provide them about liens against properties and republish it. In addition they have links to Bank's and Servicing Company websites. Since it is easier to buy a house after the bank has cleared all the liens and the property has a good title it is not a good investment for the average investor. An agent on the other hand may find the information valuable because they can get specific information about houses going into foreclosure. In conclusion, I understand that you feel RealtyTrac is 'snake oil,' because it is for most people.
FSBOsuccess, Home Seller, 28590
Tue Mar 30, 2010
Hopefully you have the information from when you canceled their service. Dispute it with your credit card company.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Tue Mar 30, 2010
Some would say that.

I limit myself to saying that the information provided by RealtyTrac is incorrect, misleading, and dated. And I've heard of various people being overcharged, or charged after attempting to cancel the service. Whenever anyone posts here on Trulia about whether to use RealtyTrac, I comment on the incorrect, misleading, and dated information and suggest that they can get correct, accurate, timely information at no charge from a Realtor.