Foreclosure in 94014>Question Details

Shrt14, Renter in Daly City, CA

Hi! I need help in getting info on my the house i'm living in now, after my mom's death I don't know what happened or under whose name

Asked by Shrt14, Daly City, CA Fri Aug 5, 2011

it went on. We are all blood relatives and I need to know what is the status of my moms house after she passed away. I believe it went under my sisters' name. Now, i continue to live here for 20 years now and give her my rent money like my other relatives that live here with me so that rent can be paid. Now she told me that the house was being pre-forclosure and that we couldn't afford it. I told her, if there was any way for her to transfer ownership to my husband and try to save the house all my kids are growing up in since we are in the process in to buying real estate but I would want to keep this house that is why I need some type of information on the house, Can any one help to see what i can or my husband do to get custody of this house? I would really appreciate some answers, Irma M.

Help the community by answering this question:


First of all, title records on any real estate, regardless of how it was "transfered" (inherited, etc.) are PUBLIC RECORDS, so you could easilly go to Redwood City (the hous being in Dlay City, it comes under the San Mateo county jurisdiction, and that is maintained in Redwood City), to find out how the title is held and under who's name. However, getting the title transferred, while not too difficult, may not resolve a problem with a pre-foreclosure (delinquent loan). While you can attempt to get insights on that loan by calling the lender, don't be surprised if they refuse to talk with you -- unless you're a co-signer on that loan. You'll have to move rather quickly to stem a foreclosure, but more importanly, if you want to keep the house, you may have to re-arrange not only the title, but also the loan(s), and to that end, you may have to re-finance (if there is equity in the house), or attempt some form of loan modification, if elligible. There's probably a lot more to do, but, while you gave a good dose of information, it isn't quite the same as talking specifics. Send me an email and I'll be happy to give you additional details and resources. Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 1, 2012
If the house went under your sister's name twenty years ago, and it is just now being foreclosed on, then something is wrong: That would probably mean that she refinanced within the last few years and got in over her head.

You might try to contact her Lender, (with her help; they will not speak to you without her permission), and try to move the loans to your name. I doubt that you will be successful. Just because.

You will not be allowed to buy the house through the Shortsale.
After the Foreclosure, you will have to compete for the house, just like every other bidder, but you will have moved out by then.

What I am saying is that your sister really stuck it to you by not communicating. To herself too, since you could have done something before now.

Good luck and may God bless
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 5, 2011
You really need to meet with an attorney, most do not charge for the first meeting so you can get some direction. You will need to a title search to look at the deed and check ownership as well as see what mortgages or liens are on the property. It may be easy to transfer names if you quailify but may need to buy them out. An attorney can let you know... good luck working things out
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 5, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer