Jake, Home Seller in Ohio

Ex-Finance' didnt pay a dime on mortgage or utilities...now she is threatening me

Asked by Jake, Ohio Thu Feb 12, 2009

In 2006 my then Fiance persuaded me to purchase a home that I was working on for my dad (he flips houses.) She said it would be a good starter home. I really didnt want the house, but agreed to make her happy. In 2007 8 weeks before we were supposed to be married she dumped me "because it didnt feel right." I wont argue that. I am primary on the mortgage and she is co. We are both on the deed to the home. We agreed to get rid of the home via short sale because its worth much less than we owe. I stopped making payments from advice from the bank to do a short sale and put it on the market for 90 days as I was told to do. We were both served court papers (I made sure she was aware of the process of a short sale) and she flipped out on me telling me she got a lawyer. I made all the house payments, utilites and repairs and have proof via bank statement. She has done NOTHING to help me, telling me she wanted to wash her hands of it all. Can I sue her for half of the payments made

Answers

9
Dana Schuster, Agent, Slidell, LA
Thu Feb 12, 2009
Thumbs up from me,again,David! you always give straight up answers. Truth hurts!
David Chambe…, , Saint Petersburg, FL
Thu Feb 12, 2009
I am berating him because he is blaming someone else for his problems, we all make choices, he made his. It is a reasonable assumtion that a company would not say don't pay me so that you can get off without paying your debt to me.

Please tell me where I can look up stats about how many banks say certain phrases.
David Chambe…, , Saint Petersburg, FL
Thu Feb 12, 2009
Your bank would not tell you not to make the payments.

You bought a house and made a bad decision don't blame it on someone else.
Dana Schuster, Agent, Slidell, LA
Thu Feb 12, 2009
Exactly,David. i sometimes get slammed here for being truthful.but i appreciate honesty and you don;t shirk from telling it straight.
David Chambe…, , Saint Petersburg, FL
Thu Feb 12, 2009
Thanks Dana, I am not unsympathetic, I just feel that we make our own decisions and should accept the consequences.
Tony Brust, Agent, Pekin, IL
Thu Feb 12, 2009
David;

Jake is right about banks telling their clients to not make payments. I have first -hand heard a bank tell my clients to not make payments so they could do a short sell. It is not the advice I gave them!! I would advise you to have your facts accurate before answering and berating someone here please.

Jake, get an attorney and good luck.
Web Reference:  http://www.WeSellPekin.com
Jake, Home Seller, Ohio
Thu Feb 12, 2009
Yes, I intend to do so tomorrow. She just threatened me yesterday and I figured I had better call her bluff and swing hard. Thanks
blaison samu…, Agent, Santa Clara, CA
Thu Feb 12, 2009
I'm sorry to hear situation but the right person to contact is an attorney because this is legal issue and not the real estate. So, contact your attorney as soon as possible to resolve your issue. You should have contacted an attorney long time ago when she got her lawyer. My best advice contact your attorney asap...good luck!
Jake, Home Seller, Ohio
Thu Feb 12, 2009
I want to add that she was told in the closing by my parents and the realtor that it would only work if 2 incomes were present. She has not paid a dime or helped me one bit and now I am on the verge of bankruptcy and my credit is shot. I am a mess (stress and anxiety) from all the letters and collection calls. I am looking for an attorney, but I didnt know if I even had legal grounds to sue her. It would be for about 15000-20000.