Foreclosure in Sacramento>Question Details

Greg Kaiser, Real Estate Pro in Sacramento, CA

Does anyone know where wannabe buyers have to go to take the class that's required when they have a foreclosure in their past?

Asked by Greg Kaiser, Sacramento, CA Wed Oct 23, 2013

As I understand it, the class is required only for certain loans... is that correct?

Help the community by answering this question:


Many down payment assistance products require this class. As Keisha mentions, Neighborworks is a great option and offers in person and online counseling. Depending on the loan product, you may be able to complete the course online, however many of them make you take the course in person. If you are wondering about the FHA "back to work program" that has been recently approved, the counseling must take place at least 30 days prior to filing the loan application. Each lender will have additional overlays to this product, so I suggest working with an experienced loan officer.

Barbara Lebrecht
BRE lic. #01377028
HomeBuyer's Assistance
2200 Sunrise Blvd. Ste. 240
Gold River, CA 95670
(916) 572-2724 office
(916) 798-0444 mobile
(916) 244-0444 e-fax
2 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 23, 2013
There are two approved education providers in the Sacramento area for the FHA Fresh Start program:

The first one is the “Sacramento Home Loan Counseling Center.” Their phone number is: 916-646-2005. Their website is

The other is “NeighborWorks HomeOwnership Center. Their phone number is 916-452-5356. Their website is:
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 30, 2013
Here is the correct site:

This only applies to FHA loans. And not every lender will accept the class, we will though.

If you need any more information, you can contact me online by clicking on my photo or call my direct line at 949-297-1207

NMLS 287206
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 24, 2013
Google the class topic and see what comes up for your specific area.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 23, 2013
Never heard of such a program but not a bad idea. I look foward to the answer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 23, 2013
Hi Greg

That sounds familiar however, I am not completely aware of a particular lender, loan type, or class that is recommended or "required" for buyers purchasing again after a foreclosure. I actually have seen buyers purchase after a foreclosure without going through a class.

However, Neghborworks is a HUD approved counselor and they have a class for homebuyers which may qualify if a class is required. The link is

Also, once you get your buyer connected with a lender who assesses their situation, if a class is required, they may be able to give you some direction as to what resources are available.

Hope that helps.

Keisha Mathews, REALTOR®
CDPE®, HRC®, HAFA® Certified
SAR Masters Club Member 2012
SAR Masters Club Steering Committee
Mathews & Co. Realty Group
@ Century 21 Landmark Network
(916) 370-1803 cell
lic#: 01439130
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 23, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer