Do i need to pay my rent to association after the apt im renting is being forclosed and bank is the owner now?

Asked by Xoxoxo, 33139 Mon Sep 6, 2010

The apartment i'm renting was foreclosed and bank owns it. Now association want me to pay them rent money. I did pay last month to association, because my ex landlord asked me to. But now this LL is gone.

Answers

3
Alma Kee, Agent, Tampa, FL
Mon Sep 6, 2010
Dear XOXO,

Call the attorney's office that did the foreclosure if you're not sure who owns your property. You should have been served notice when the foreclosure auction was held. That attorney should be able to instruct you where to send your rental payments. The lender may also offer you "cash for keys" and give you a few thousand dollars to move.

DO NOT just send it to the association unless there is a court order requiring you to pay the association. Some unscrupulous attorneys for associations may send threatening letters to attempt to get you to pay them the money. If you do, you may also have to pay the bank who now owns the property or face eviction.

You should contact an attorney because we can't give you the best legal advice.
Pat & Steve…, Agent, Westlake, OH
Mon Sep 6, 2010
If you want to live in that apartment, you need to pay your rent to the new owner. Your rent should be paid to the association, as the agent for the new owner. Otherwise, you are looking at eviction.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Mon Sep 6, 2010
If teh association is the owner you pay them, if the association is not the owner, you should not be paying soemone who is not the owner. if teh bank chooses to keep you as the tenant you would pay them and they are responsibkle for paying hoa fees. Before paying anyone else you should seek teh advise of an attorney or a non profit that can assist you. You couls also check with the Florida bar association if they have a probono lawyer to assist you.

good luck in working things out