Can a prospective buyer get to look inside a foreclosure before it goes to auction?

Asked by Ellen S., Margate City, NJ Wed Sep 22, 2010

Answers

6
Matthew & Richard Haviland’s answer
Matthew & Ri…, Agent, Northfield, NJ
Thu Sep 23, 2010
Hi Ellen,

Normally when buying a foreclosed property prior to sheriff sale the buyer will not have access to the home. Because most of the homes in foreclosure now owe more than the house is worth most homes are being bought back by the bank. These homes will eventually be re-listed and as an agent I can show the properties to you at that point. I will be hosting a class next month called Winning With Foreclosures. Please call me with any questions and let me know if you'd like to attend: 609-484-9890 ext. 132.

Best wishes,

Matt
Web Reference:  http://HavilandGroup.net
, ,
Thu Sep 23, 2010
There are 2 types of auctions. The public auction and like an REDC auction.
If it is a public auction and there is an MLS listing there should be a listing agent. If you look at the county's website it might say who is the title current holder and you could also call that holder - that's if the records are updated.
If it is a REDC type auction (other companies besides REDC) then you can call the auctioning company and let them know you have interest and would like to see the property. They should be able to make arrangements --
Celia
Web Reference:  http://www.homeloandiva.com
James Gordon…, Agent, Hamilton, OH
Sat Sep 25, 2010
Ellen all you have to do if the property is occupied is go knock on the front door. When someone answers let them know that the property is going to sheriff auction and would they be so kind as to let you view the property. While you are there ask them why they didn't pay their mortgage and why they shirked their duty to live up to their legal obligations. You may even want to offer to help them move to a park so they can set up tents to keep out of the rain.

No you can view a property scheduled for sheriff sale unless it is being offer for sale by a broker at the same time. In my area people have called the police and one person that I know of was charged with being a peeping tom for looking in the windows of an occupied home.
Pretty sure James was being sarcastic, hence the second paragraph.
Flag Tue Aug 8, 2017
I agree with the the other commentors- that was a presumptuous and disgusting thing to say, dude. FYI: the house we were renting went into foreclosure because our landlord, who was also a very close friend, dies suddenly. We didn't even have time to GRIEVE because of vultures just driving onto our property- and pointing fingers at us- the TENANTS- for letting the house go.
But you would help me and my Afghanistan veteran husband get to a tent city?? Fawk you, James
Flag Tue May 23, 2017
You are an incredibly rude and disrespectful person. Perhaps you can be offered a park to live in a tent some day because you never know if you'll lose your job or people find you dispectable and won't use your services. You have no idea why people can't pay their mortgage and whether or not that person has done everything they could to save their home. I would never nor recommend you to anyone even if you were the last realtor on the earth.
Flag Mon Apr 24, 2017
That is a very lame and bias statement. If a family member was sick, passing of Cancer and lost a job due to economics, then yes they have a reason. Get real man. I feel sorry for ones that have lost their house due to lots of real circumstances, you always have your losers out there but in most cases I have seen that isn't the case.
Flag Thu May 28, 2015
You are an a$$hole
Flag Sun Oct 6, 2013
Ian A. Wolf, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Fri Sep 24, 2010
Only if it is listed for sale, or if permission is granted directly from the seller. Other wise, no. Remember that until it is foreclosed(in NJ even up to 10 days after it is foreclosed) it is still owned by the seller, and is private property.
Ryan Smith, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Wed Sep 22, 2010
Hi Ellen,

You would need permission from the current owner or management company who is responsible for the property.

Chris Blasic
Realty World & Associates
Mary Renfro, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Wed Sep 22, 2010
Normally a realtor can show you the property. Look in your local MLS and see if property is listed!