Can I redeem my dad house now in the redemption period, after he have pass away? How legally?

Asked by missliloangel, 55106 Sat Nov 16, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Cody Anderson, Agent, Minneapolis, MN
Thu Dec 5, 2013
Attorney question!! I hope for your sake the home doesn't get tied up on probate.

Sorry for your lose. Never easy to digest.

Merry Christmas
0 votes
Have you heard of the Beachside case law? According to that article you don't have to go through probate.
Flag Fri Dec 6, 2013
Susan Hoffla…, Agent, Shoreview, MN
Thu Nov 21, 2013
Hello, missliloangel!

First of all, let me say that I'm very sorry for your loss. It's always a difficult time when we lose our parents. My condolences to you and your family.

Now, as for your question, I would recommend that you consult an attorney. There are just so many questions that we cannot answer because we don't know your circumstances. Was there a will?? If so, did he leave the house to you? Did he leave it only to you or are there other heirs?

I would suggest talking to your attorney or AN attorney to determine what your rights are and how much time you have to get this done. The redemption periods vary (most are 6 months), so you may be up against a time limitation, too.

Good luck!
Web Reference:
0 votes
Margaret Has…, Agent, Tampa, FL
Mon Nov 18, 2013
If you are now the owner of the home, you should be able to redeem the property. Calling the tax office is a great way to get all the information you need.

Margaret Hassani
Broker, Lightning Realty
Innovation and Experience
(813) 766-1501
Fax (813) 443-0118
0 votes
Chris Block, , Saint Paul, MN
Mon Nov 18, 2013
As long as you are on title you certainly can redeem the house. Like the others said if your parent did not leave the home to you in a will you would go through probate to take ownership of the home.

Once that happens you have a legal interest in the home, and then simply just go down to the courthouse with a check, and more importantly proof that you own the house, and then you are able to redeem on the home.

If you need any further help or just have questions feel free to give me a call!

Christopher Block
0 votes
Lenny Frolov, Agent, Brooklyn Park, MN
Sun Nov 17, 2013
You will need to talk to an attorney to get this done, redeeming is a very complicated process if you are not the actual owner. You will need a redemption interest in order to do so, in this case you may need to go through probate if your dad didn't have a will in place. There are specific timelines in place and absolutely no extension are given. Just having the money doesn't give you the rights to redeem the home, if you went to the sheriff and paid off the redemption you would not be the owner and the title would stay in your dads name.
0 votes
Kim Eisen, Agent, Twin Cities, MN
Sat Nov 16, 2013
Depending on what's needed I would talk to a reputable title company as they can guide you on the process (because they do it all the time) and the necessary steps in the State/County.
0 votes
Barb Huppert, , Maplewood, MN
Sat Nov 16, 2013
As long as you are still in the redemption period, any one with the funds may redeem the home. You will need to redeem directly from the sheriff, by paying the banks purchase amount plus sheriff fees and interest.. You need to contact the sheriff for the payoff amount.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more