Buying our first house! Cherry Hill Village?

Asked by Tyson, Bloomington, IN Mon Dec 17, 2007

Moving to Detroit is obviously overwhelming but we have narrowed our areas of interest down to Northville, Plymouth, and Canton. We are extremely interested in Cherry Hill Village in Canton, MI. We want a new home with character and it seems like this is what they are offering. I do not need to move up to Detroit till next May and I noticed the single family house prices in Cherry Hill are very volatile right now. Should I continue to wait it out and try to close as close to May as possible or are some of the houses as low as we are probably going to see them (e.g. 4 Bed, 2.5 Bath for 260K). Don't want to overpay in this market but love this area and neighborhood and just want to make sure I am approaching the situation right. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. Also any impression you have of Cherry Hill is also welcomed. I will be traveling up there late this week to get a first peek but I would love to hear what anyone thinks of the neighborhood.

Answers

9
Kathy Koslov…, Agent,
Mon Dec 17, 2007
Hey Tyson
This is the time to look and buy if you can. Home prices are low, interest rates are low, too. Seems like a good combination. Homes are still selling and there are many buys to be found. Yes, the Cherry Hill Village is a newer end of the Canton area and is building. They want to build up that end of Canton. I have lived here for 25 yrs and have seen most of Canton start out as farm country and build over the last years. My husband and I are both realtors and would be happy to help you when you come into town. Feel free to call me on my cell if you wish to connect . I can email you some homes that are in your price range. Email me back and I shall send you homes that you may wish to check out while in town.
Kathy Koslovsky 734-634-7674
Robin Kay Co…, Agent, Plymouth, MI
Fri Jan 2, 2009
Yes, prices in Cherry Hill Village and throughout the southeastern Michigan area are continuing to fluctuate. I would recommend that you continue to monitor the market for a few more months and would be happy to set up a direct MLS search that comes to your email daily to accomplish that task. This is a very unique community that has a lot of attraction for many buyers but, in my opinion, was initially overpriced. As a result, there is a lot of opportunity to snag a good deal. A local Realtor can update you on recent sales (comps) to help ensure you get the best deal and don't overpay. I'd be happy to help if you've not chosen someone. If not, good luck with whomever you choose. As a 16 year resident of Canton, you're sure to enjoy living here!
Robin Mitche…, Home Seller, Plymouth, MI
Tue Dec 30, 2008
Tyson - we have a lovely home for sale in Plymouth close to elementary, middle and high schools and within biking distance to downtown area. Great family neighborhood. Our home backs to woods and has nice privacy, 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bath, landscaped, finished basement, 2400 sq feet., $269,900.
Dylan Borland, Agent, Plymouth, MN
Sun Sep 28, 2008
if you looking for a home with character and is not a fortune look in Plymouth areas or a more hidden place in Livonia Michigan called old rose dale gardens the homes are gorgeous and have lots of character, Waiting is a good thing at this moment real estate prices have not hit rock bottom yet and are expected to still fall so may will be good for you, if you are ever in town and want me to take you around to those places give me a call or email i can even send you a list of what’s on the market in those areas. Good luck on your move.

Dylan Borland,
Coldwell Banker Preferred Realtors
Wayne and Oakland county Michigan real estate
website: http://www.esuoh.com
Web Reference:  http://www.esuoh.com
Barbara Kalb…, , Canton, MI
Wed Dec 19, 2007
Hello, Tyson: Cherry Hill Village encompasses the area WEST of Ridge Road as well. New homes in Canton's Cherry Hill Village are being built in the SW quadrant of the Ridge/Cherry Hill intersection by two builders, in addition to the more-visible section of CHV in the SE quadrant. River's Edge at Cherry Hill Village is in Phase I and includes some walkout and daylight-basement lots, which are very rare in Canton. I am the sales manager in that new-home community and would welcome a visit from you. You could contact me at barbara@palazzolobrothers.com CHV has a brand-new elementary school. The Canton Township library is superb, as are the recreational facilties at The Summit. We would love to see you move to Cherry Hill Village.
Gordon Johns…, Agent, Plymouth, MI
Mon Dec 17, 2007
Hi Tyson,

As you can see by the number and speed of which Realtors are responding to your question there is a lot of interest in Cherry Hill Village. I would be happy to help you learn about the village and the pros and cons of living here. After living in Canton for 15 years, I built my current home here in Cherry Hill Village (Phase 3) in 2005. Are you interested in a single family home or a attached condo? We have both in the village. In phase 1 & 2 there were four builders that built the homes and condos, phase 3 has 3 builders that have built homes here. I would be happy to share with you the things to look for from each of the builders, they all have there strengths and weaknesses. You can contact me at Gordon@MInextHome.com. I look forward to helping you research homes in Cherry Hill Village.
Web Reference:  http://www.MInextHome.com
Debra Drummo…, , Plymouth, MI
Mon Dec 17, 2007
Hi Tyson,

There are lots of nice neighborhoods in Northville, Plymouth and Canton, but none others quite like Cherry Hill Village with its architecture and 'small town' feel. If you're looking for newer construction in a cohesive community with lots of character, it's definitely the place. We hear that people who live there love the neighborhood. Here's a link to a more about Cherry Hill Village:

http://detroit.about.com/od/neighborhoods/a/CherryHillVilla.htm

Although there are quite a few homes on the market right now, Spring should bring a few more and it's likely prices won't fluctuate too much. I'd be happy to provide more details on homes that are available for sale if you'd like.

Have a safe trip!
Web Reference:  http://MichiganMoves.com
Nicole Sleeva, , Novi, MI
Mon Dec 17, 2007
Hi Tyson! Cherry Hill Village definitely has character! I think the prices are as low as we are going to see them although every home has a reason for being on the market so it depends on the situation. It's a nice community and they have (and still are) building up the area to have a "small town" feel. While you are in the area, make sure you drive by the community to see how close knit it is. The township's website has lots of great info - http://www.canton-mi.org. Good luck!!
Web Reference:  http://www.NicoleSleeva.com
smith3gary, Agent, White Lake, MI
Mon Dec 17, 2007
Tyson, Because of the liability, I cannot give you my opinion of the neighborhood. You are correct to investigate any area of interest. Yes, the market in Michigan is "volitile" right now. New laws coming through from Federal and State governments may decrease the number of foreclosures in southeastern Michigan and stabilize home values. In general, homes in the best locations and conditions are still selling with only a few days on the market. The remaining homes can take several months. Since you have some time, perhaps a short sale home would could provide a good bargain in this area.