What I love about Pittsburgh is that it's one of the only major cities left in this country where you can buy a small home as an investment and still at least break even on rental income. I'm originally from New York, it's impossible to do it there, which is why a lot of New Yorkers are selling their homes and moving to North Carolina.
If you're an out of towner, I think investing in homes in Pittsburgh is a very safe bet.
The market in Pittsburgh has been stable for quite some time.
top 10 best housing markets according to Forbes Mag.
City Name; Median Home Sale Price; Percent Change
1. Salt Lake City; $246,700; 14.1 percent
2. Charlotte, N.C., $220,000, 11 percent
3. San Jose, Calif., $852,500, 9.4 percent
4. San Francisco, $825,400, 8.6 percent
5. Raleigh, N.C., $229,500, 7.5 percent
6. Austin, $188,200, 7.2 percent
7. Pittsburgh, $127,700, 6.1 percent
8. Seattle, $394,700, 6 percent
9. San Antonio, $154,700, 5.7 percent
10. Portland, Ore., $299,700, 5.2 percent