Are we responsible for property tax from 2009 even though we just moved in May 2010?

Asked by Novice, 89102 Mon Dec 20, 2010

Purchased our first home in May 2010 but just last month I received a tax bill for 2009. Are we responsible for paying those taxes even though we did not live in the home during this time? A friend said that we might have received a credit during closing from the sellers. However, I never ever remember this even coming up at closing and by us being first time buyers I never even thought to ask about it. I tried to look through our closing papers and see nothing about it there either unless I am overlooking it. Please advise.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Renee Burrows’ answer
Renee Burrows, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Tue Dec 21, 2010
You should probably speak with a lawyer on this one. Had a client buy a house last spring that was recorded wrong (in size) and we consulted with a lawyer to find out if he was responsible for all the back taxes (since the 90s). Lawyer said it is a gray area definitely.

Getting your HUD-1 from the sale and asking the title company why it wasn't squared away would be a good start.
0 votes
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Mon Dec 20, 2010
Best confer with title company, your closing documents and county tax office.

These are experts who can explain any doc's you signed with credit

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Mon Dec 20, 2010
The HUD1 form you get at closing is a govt form therefor it is automatically confusing. Look at lines 211 and 511 on the first page. There should be a dollar figure there with dates Jan 1 to May when you closed on the house. This is a credit to you from the seller for that portion of the taxes the seller owed when they owned it, they are giving you the money that the sellers would owe so you can pay it all when they send out the tax bill later in the year. The sellers portion has already been given to you. Most likely the lender will pay the tax bill from your escrow funds collected so check with them before you pay, you may just need to send the bill to your lender if you have one.
0 votes
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Mon Dec 20, 2010
Hi Novice;
Check your HUD-1 Closing Settlement statement. There should be a line item credit to you for taxes. If it's not there, call the closing agent and have them take a look for it and advise you. All taxes should be paid up to the date of closing.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more