Foreclosure in 07670>Question Details

Animallover, Home Owner in 07670

Are property taxes based on the value of the recorded deed after a purchase(in the absense of a physical inspection by the town tax assessor? NJ

Asked by Animallover, 07670 Sun Dec 12, 2010

My tax is still based on the original purchase price, not the value after doubling the size and value of the structure and a new mortgage 4 years ago with all the permits and inspections required. I realize I am lucky, but am wondering if this is an indication that new Mortgage Co failed to record a revised deed. This may help me fight foreclosure. Any advice? Will going to the county recorders office tell me anything useful?

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Animal lover:
The first place to go to check on your property taxes is the municipal tax assessors office on Riveredge Road in Tenafly. They will give you information over the telephone, but if you go in person you can see what is on file for your property. It is a matter of public record.

Generally Tenafly performs a tax revaluation every 4-6 years. In August of 2010, Tenafly began its latest revaluation project. The values for properties were as of October 1, 2010. So, you should have received a notice in the mail prior to this. Once you come close to receiving you certificate of occupancy, the tax assessor's office comes by to perform the tax assessment,. They take pictures of every room and also take photos of all of the exterior. So, the town is quite thorough during this process.

should you need further assistance or have completed this project, feel free to contact me.
Karen Seeman
Exit Realty Your Home Connection
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 15, 2011
Hi Animallover,

4 years does seem excessively long to adjust after proper permits and inspections were finalized. Your first step should be to check what's on file with your local town's tax assessor's office. You should be able to go there in person and ask to see the property record. After that, I would indeed check county records to see what the most current deed indicates. Armed with that information you should probably consult with your attorney, as he/she should be able to advise you regarding your specific situation.

Good luck,

Jack Vollenberg
RE Appraiser - Vollenberg Appraisers
Realtor/REO Asset Manager - NJ Real Estate Associates LLC
Office (908) 968-0336
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 15, 2010
Call the property appraisers office so you make sure you get accurate information
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 12, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer