Juan, Home Buyer in Modesto, CA

Are JKB Homes any good? I'm looking at the Sterling Ridge development in Riverbank,CA. Someone said Riverbank

Asked by Juan, Modesto, CA Mon Nov 19, 2007

is a bad choice since this area would have more renters in it according to him.

Answers

6
Garrett Smith, , Modesto, CA
Tue Nov 20, 2007
I am from this area, I live in Modesto and have sold many homes in Riverbank, including JKB. If you are referring to the Sterling Ridge subdivision it is not that bad, it is better than the current Morrison subdivision in Crossroads, but most homes in that area are having lots of issues. I have a list of most subdivisions in Modesto and Riverbank, I can get that to you if you would like, it also has customer ratings and JKB is a 7.5 out of 10
Diane Lowe, Home Buyer, Manteca, CA
Fri Mar 20, 2015
Be very careful when you purchase one of their homes. Ask for the JKB Living Homeowners Manual. We were not given this material until we had signed the final paperwork and owned the home. We have now lived in the house approximately 10 months and having all sorts of problems. Some of that will be very costly over time and others are just bad construction. The most costly is the cabinetry but the list goes on to include the cabinet hinges that continuely come apart which eventually leaves you with doors that will not close, chaulking the in bathrooms that did not last seven months. The electrical outlets where only one out of the two plugs work, broken fence pickets that were suppose to be replaced, weather strippng that either tore or came off, gaps in the base board behind the toilets, jagged cuts in the seams of the counter tops. Some of which were our fault for not catching on the final walk through. I sent in the paperwork for the bigger problems and their customer service department did not even bother to respond to me. Which is what the procedure is suppose to be according to their paperwork.
Before we moved in we had to have the cabinet doors replaced because there was a fine line where the stain had not covered on the inside corners of the molding on the doors. They called that blowback. Within 2 days of receiving the new doors a door in our masterbath finish on the top of the door started peeling off. As the months went on I had three doors that cracked and the finished peeled off. When I looked at the warranty to see what to do it stats that "Doors, molding, and cabinets are subject to shrinkage, twisting, fading and brittleness as a results of weather changes,drying and exposure to sunlight. Such damage is not a result of the quality of the products, material or construction. I filed a request for repair in January after only living here 7 months and their response is that the chipping and peeling is due to water damage and therefore our problem and repairs are to be paid by us.

I would not buy another house from this company again because it is obvious that they do not stand behind their products.
Amanda, Home Buyer, Riverbank, CA
Fri Feb 29, 2008
It isn't that riverbank is a bad choice but the Sterling Ridge Community is located right behind a Train Yard I live about a mile away from the Sterling Ridge Community and I can hear the trains being unloaded and hooked up at night I cannot undestand how the homeowners are able to sleep at night being so close to the train yard...Riverbank is the same as any other town there are bad neighborhoods and there are good neighborhoods
Nino and Ami…, , Modesto, CA
Tue Jan 15, 2008
Riverbank is expanding rapidly. Home Depot, Best Buy, Target, new restaurants, and more are retail chains that spend millions $$$ on demographic research to decide whether or not an area will be profitable for their businesses.
Riverbank will continue to grow, and as it does, so will the property values. The area is more of a determining factor than the builder. Quality inspections prior to purchase, a strong negotiating Realtor can make the purchase subject to repairs / upgrades, and a good home warranty can put your mind at ease before committing to a house.
Renters are everywhere. If you have a neighbor who would like to buy, instead of rent, please refer them to a Realtor you know who can help.
Carrie, Both Buyer And Seller, Say Cheese!
Tue Nov 20, 2007
There are websites for homeowners with complaints about builders. Usually, you may find them by Googling the name of the builder and words like review, complaint, something like that.
Infinity Rea…, , Saratoga, CA
Tue Nov 20, 2007
There are plenty of short sales, and foreclosures in Riverbank and Modesto. I would suggest looking into those first, alot of investors bought the homes and never moved in they are still brand new.

If you need a list feel free to email me.