For Rent in El Sobrante>Question Details

Leslie May, Other/Just Looking in El Sobrante, CA

I inquired about renting 3901 Marion Way. I recently saw a posting on Craigslist which says this woman is a

Asked by Leslie May, El Sobrante, CA Tue Jul 21, 2009

fraud and is losing this home. Is this house in foreclosure?

Another agent in my office had exactly the same thing Pacita describes happen on one of his listings..."out of the country" landlord, etc. It finally got so bad that he posted a "This home is not for rent" sign next to the For Sale sign at the home. Pacita's advice about taking a look and calling the agent if there's a for sale sign is right.
3901 Marion Way was scheduled for auction July 22 at the county courthouse in Martinez...but it was postponed per beneficiary (lender) request. So there may still be some negotiations going on. The owner may be looking at getting a loan modification, or some other resolution.

But do be cautious about answering ads on craigslist for properties for rent. I have had my for sale listings copied by scammers and posted on craigslist for rent. The scammers claim to be out of the country, but say they can send the keys upon receipt when the application form and security deposit and first month's rent are received. This is happening on yahoo, too.

Always check out the property --- drive by to make sure it is legitimate...i.e., it doesn't have a for sale sign on it. If there is, call the realtor who is advertising it for sale to confirm the legitimacy of whoever is advertising it for rent.