trying to rent a larger aparment. i have no evictions or bankruptcies, but i have a judgement on my credit. is it possible to still rent?

Asked by Charlene, 19082 Wed Dec 15, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Erica Ramus,…, Agent, Pottsville, PA
Wed Dec 15, 2010
I would say YES. You need to be able to explain the judgement, and be right up front with it. I would tell the landlord what it is and why it is there, and be very honest.
1 vote
Myra Gouger, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Wed Dec 15, 2010
You should be fine for renting. The judgment should not affect your abili9ty to rent.
1 vote
Michael N., Other Pro, Bucks, AL
Wed Dec 15, 2010
Yes it is possible to still rent. I have rented to a person that lost their house to foreclosure, filed bankruptcy, etc. Every person’s situation is different.

If you are able to, you should offer to pay the first few months’ rent in advance. If you do this, see if you can have a discounted rent.

Good Luck!
Web Reference:
1 vote
Eileen Gray, , Philadelphia County, PA
Wed Dec 15, 2010
I agree with the answers which have already been given. It depends on the landlord. It also depends on the area. If there is huge competition in a particular area, you might have a more forgiving landlord than if you are looking in an area where there is less availability. I have worked with a number of problem tenants and gotten them places. In fact one problem case just moved into a property on December 1st. If I were the landlord, I might not have accepted these clients that I recommended for a home. It is up to the landlord so what am I to say. I am just the agent. If you would like me to help you, please feel free to call me at 215-603-8484 or 610-260-4049. If you don't call me, good luck in your search.
1 vote
Monica Flor…, Agent, Langhorne, PA
Wed Dec 15, 2010
Different landlords have different requirements but for the most part, we expect that there will be some credit issues. You want to demonstrate that you've had a stable residence history, your current landlord will be contacted as a reference, and show that you've had steady employment. If you can do this, I think you should be fine! Lots of luck to you! Monica ;-)
1 vote
Trudo Realty, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Dec 15, 2010
It's still possible. Your best bet is to look for independent landlords as opposed to management companies. If you work with a local real estate agent who specializes in rentals, your agent should be able to advise you on which landlords are more forgiving with credit histories.

The other option available is to use a cosigner who has good credit. That's not always possible or desirable, but it's better than nothing.
1 vote
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more