For Rent in Canoga Park>Question Details

seema.etc, Renter in Sierra Madre, CA

how safe is this place?

Asked by seema.etc, Sierra Madre, CA Wed Dec 18, 2013

my office is in canoga avenue. I want to stay near to it. I have a car, and i will park it inside the apartment, I never go out at night. taking into all these, how much safe i 'll be over there?

This question was posted a few months ago, but I thought it was an important one to answer for others asking about crime in specific areas.

For your specific question, Canoga Avenue runs through several cities, including Woodland Hills, West Hills, Canoga Park, and Chatworth. So crime statistics can vary greatly, not only from city to city while traveling along Canoga Avenue, but also within the neighborhoods of each city, and finally crime statistics vary even along specific streets within those neighborhoods.

I advise my real estate clients to go to the LAPD website, specifically to this page:

This is a great mapping tool to research crime by type and frequency in the area you're thinking of moving to. Help this helps!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 8, 2014
It is all relative. Crime can happen anywhere. Statistically speaking the odds of something happening are not that different between one and the other. I suggest you drive the neighborhood, walk the neighborhood, talk to some of the neighbors and get a feel for what it is like.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 20, 2013
I looked this complex over 5 years ago. I have lived in Canoga Park for 54 years. I am very familiar with this area since I walked by this neighborhood daily going to Columbus Jr. High school in the mid 70's. This has turned out to become a barrio of sorts. The photos are misleading and these are snap shots obviously of many years ago possibly over 20 years ago. When I walked thru the two double doors. I expected them to be locked so only residence could enter. The lock had been defeated and the door swung open easily. I looked at the mailboxes as I walked into the main lobby. The mailboxes were filthy and had dust and cobwebs all around. I looked at the light fixtures above and you could see spider webs and dust thru the crevices. One of the apartments was open with someone inside and honestly the first thing on my mind was filth! I turned around and I decided I wouldn't want to live there or have my young daughter at the time with me. It is just a roach filled place I can assume, if the place isn't kept up. As for being safe, as long as you don't go out each night doing the same routine. You probably have nothing to worry about living at that place. But if you have a nice car. You may have people stealing your valve caps or smash and grab.

Not familiar with the area but this is a great go to site:

Oscar Gonzales
WestCo Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 20, 2014
live in 91367 zip code. Anything else within 3 miles all around is ghetto
It's in the Ghetto. Canoga Park. It's adjacent to the desireable "Warner Center" . The REAL Warner Center area in 91367 Woodland Hills is nice, urban, safe. A few blocks east is Canoga Park, which is "ghetto" lots off illegals hanging out on the streets in the morning looking for work, run down liquor stores,many businesses spanish speaking, etc. You get the idea. Anyway, somewhere along the way...back around 2009 someone thought it would be a good idea to build a gorgeous new luxury apartment building/community in the middle of the ghetto (literally) and call it "Woodland Hills" charge a ton of money to rent (same as Woodland Hills - Approx. $1600 rent for a tiny 1Bd. 1Ba)
..possibly thinking no one would notice it's really in Canoga Park. Its funny because if you visit their website the video of the "neighborhood" is actually Woodland Hills, which is 1.5 miles down the road. Yhe difference is night and day.Fast Forward to 2014...there are now a cluster of these upscale building/communitiies newly built, all within the same block ALL advertised as "Warner Center" or "Woodland Hills" when it is actually in the ghetto aka Canoga Park - toilet.
Nice try.
Safety is important and adding barriers and alarm systems can help you feel more relaxed in your own community. Consider options that are available

If you or your friends need help with remodeling, renovations, or just a second opinion on remodeling and design feel free to contact us.

Socal Preferred Builders | 855-247-6225 | licensed and insured general contractor
This site may also have information
Please check this forum just to have an idea if this place is safe or not: