how cn someone with a felony rent a house?

Asked by Kathy Gillispie, Texas Wed Jun 20, 2012

My grandson is having a hard time finding a home to rent He has a good job and can ay up to a thousand a month but has a non violent felony against him What can he do

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Chris Hutchi…, Agent, Hurst, TX
Wed Jun 20, 2012
Yes. It depends on the requirements of the landlord/owner. It will be more difficult to lease but if you disclose this information up front your agent can help save you time and money by talking to the leasing agent to see if you got a chance.

Also make sure you have your credit up to par, stable employment and your double security deposit ready.


Chris Hutchinson
Chris Hutchinson Real Estate
The Michael Group
Sent from my iPhone
0 votes
Connie Mitch…, Agent, South Padre Island, TX
Wed Jun 20, 2012
I would recommend he be up front and forward with his situation. Don's suggestion of writing a letter of explanation might be a good idea and assist the landlord in some back ground information that he would not know or have available from a basic back ground check.
0 votes
Don Groff, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Jun 20, 2012
That depends on the landlord and their tolerance for the added risk. I'm sure he can find some place but it may be more difficult. Maybe writing a good letter of explanation as to the circumstances that occurred if they are helpful to his situation. Landlords and their agents look at the entire picture to make a decision. The risk reward has to make sense. Maybe he could offer to put down additional deposit money plus first and last months rent to compensate for his situation. Again, not knowing all the details it is hard to say.

Best of luck to your grandson.

Don Groff
REALTOR® | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 m 512.633.4157 |
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
For Rent in Burleson Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more