does the NJ law required landlord to get the certificate of continue occupancy before renting to his tenant in Edgewater, NJ?

Asked by Halina Chu, Edgewater, NJ Fri Dec 24, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Jerry Barker, Agent, Atlantic City, NJ
Tue Dec 28, 2010
Well the short answer to this question would be yes
Web Reference:
0 votes
Bernard Teic…, Agent, Freehold, NJ
Sat Dec 25, 2010
Below is a link for the CCO & Fire permit applications
0 votes
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Fri Dec 24, 2010
Landlords are supposed to provide the same smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector and fire extinguisher inspections that sellers have prior to closing on a home.

So, yes, according to NJ law, a tenant should have had those inspections provided for by the landlord.

In regard to certificates of continuing occupamcy, as noted below, requirements vary from town to town.
0 votes
Joshua Baris, Agent, Fort Lee, NJ
Fri Dec 24, 2010
After the holiday weekend you can also call John the head of Edgewater's Building Department. He also is the person that performs all of the C of O inspections for the city of Edgewater. Maureen in the building department is also very helpful. The phone number is 201-943-1700 press 1 then 7 to be directed to the building dept. I have also attached a direct link to Edgewater's Building Departments website and the Certificate of Occupancy page. Best of luck! Joshua Baris
0 votes
Bernard Teic…, Agent, Freehold, NJ
Fri Dec 24, 2010
The most reliable answer can be found in Edgewater's building department. Below is a link.
Happy holidays & good luck.

Ps: resales, new construction - obviously...but condo rentals...also...check the link
0 votes
Larry Sarlo, Agent, North Wildwood, NJ
Fri Dec 24, 2010
Every time you have a "new" occupancy /tenancy you must have a C/O completed. NJ places this requirement on the towns to complete. Also some areas require a Fire inspection yearly. But the C/O is only required for new tenants and each time you get a new tenant. However check with your building inspection services in your town to gather their requirements. They will have a form of what they look for so you know what to expect.

Make sure you have proper licenses also so to protect yourself from legal problems in the event of required evictions. If you do not get a C/O prior to occupancy you will have a difficult time with NJ LAw , your township, and your tenants. Do not allow even a suit case to be moved in until the c/o is approved.

As I am not opposed to referring questions to an attorney. I think this one is not necessary a legal question as it is your towns requirements.

Larry Sarlo
Weichert Realtors
0 votes
Joshua Baris, Agent, Fort Lee, NJ
Fri Dec 24, 2010
I do not believe that would be necessary. If you are selling the property then yes you need a Certificate of Occupancy. If you are renting to your tenant with the option to buy they may just want it prior for piece of mind. However, I do not think the law requires it to be provided. However I would recommend speaking with a Real Estate attorney. I always call Steven Freesman in Fort Lee for advice. Best of luck and happy holidays! Josh
0 votes
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Fri Dec 24, 2010
If you ever in doubt confer with an attorney


Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
For Rent in Edgewater Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more