What is a "normal" late fee for renting?

Asked by Lookingatseattle, Seattle, WA Thu Apr 4, 2013

Answers

2
Ray Akers, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Apr 4, 2013
Late fees should be clearly spelled out in your lease agreement. I'm not sure there is any 'normal' fee. I would expect a late charge to be in the range of 5%, but that's just a guess. If you're having concerns about your rental agreement, or problems with your landlord try contacting the Seattle Tenant's Union. It's a non-profit agency that assists tenants. Good luck.
Jamie Pauley, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Apr 4, 2013
It does tend to vary by the price of your rent, but I have found that $50 is common with 1-2 bedroom units in the Greater Seattle area.

You may call me if you have any more questions about renting here in Seattle- I've lived here my whole life and rented frequently, up until last year. The ins and outs can be a little tricky, but as a Real Estate broker, I have also developed working relationships with local property management companies , and I would be happy to forward you to an office who could answer any specific questions you may have.

-Jamie Pauley
Windermere Ballard
(206) 683-0359