What areas of Delaware are accessible or close enough to travel by Regional Rail to Philly?

Asked by Quanetta Milburn, Northeast Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA Mon Aug 26, 2013

I am looking to rent a 2-3 bedroom townhome, ranch home, house or apartment for up to $850-875/month in rent. I have a 16yr old daughter so looking for an area that would be good for her also for schools near by and such. That's why I considered Dover first because I've visted that area but was not too sure as I am from Philly and do not really know much about Delaware. Any help is much appreciated.

Answers

1
Jeff Hoover, Agent, Kannapolis, NC
Mon Aug 26, 2013
Thank you for your question.

3 areas are accessible to Regional Rail in Delaware. Claymont, Wilmington Train Station, Fairplay near Delaware Park and Newark just south of University of Delaware. However there is some limited service to all the Delaware stations so the Marcus Hook station just north of the Delaware / Pennsylvania line is a popular station since it has later or extended service times available. North Wilmington / Claymont have a variety of apartment options available. Dover is about hour and half south of the Delaware / Pennsylvania line and there is a Dart (Delaware transit bus) that runs from Wilmington to Dover.

If you want to discuss further, please contact me at 302-981-6485.
Mr. Hoover's answer is extremely accurate.
There isn't commuter rail service south of Newark and Wilmington, but each summer a big deal is made of state politicos taking a train to Milton, outside Lewes, so the capability already exists. About 2000, there was research into expanding Amtrak to Odessa, Smyrna, Dover, Milford, and/or Milton. Once you are settled, if you would still find such service beneficial, PLEASE, contact your local, state, & federal representatives to advise them. Although politics today seems to focus on an ill-informed minority trying to make government so small it could be drowned it a bathtub, if our nation is to survive that won't always be the case.
I have contacted DART several times via Facebook and its website with concerns about services. If you identify needs that are unmet, please advise them as well. Without outside input, nothing ever changes.
Flag Sun Sep 29, 2013
I would also suggest the Bear and Middletown, Delaware areas as these area have very good bus service to all the Regional Rail stations in Delaware.
Flag Mon Aug 26, 2013