We rent an interior ADU; can our landlord rent out the other half of the house to another family?

Asked by a_griffin, 97224 Mon Nov 4, 2013

We found a rental that seemed great at the time... it is a "daylight" basement with it's own entrance. I've sinced learned what we live in (renovated laundry room/large garage) is actually an interior ADU. The primary residence (is upstairs... entrance faces the street, ours faces the back yard) is empty, and has been for a long time. Now the owner is trying to rent it out, via Craigslist, showing it all the time, etc. The utilities are shared, there is one address, and there is a door that connects the upstairs and our living space downstairs. I thought an ADU was legal for rental income only if the owner lived on the property? I'm in a one year lease, and in WA county, OR. Thanks!!

Answers

3
Tom Inglesby, Agent, Portland, OR
Thu Dec 12, 2013
You should also check to see which side of the fire proof door the hinges are on? There are hinges that cannot remove the pin so the door cannot be removed. In your lease who pays for the heat and lights? If you talk to an attorney about this ask those questions about utilites in washington co the renters pay for garbage and water. Good luck, Tom Inglesby, Broker RE/MAX
The Stephen…, Agent, Portland, OR
Tue Nov 5, 2013
Yes I believe they can rent out both, given your situation. Would recommend speaking with a real estate attorney for further specifics.
Brian Zeitz, Agent, Portland, OR
Tue Nov 5, 2013
Typically the answer is yes, the landlord can rent the other part of the home. If there are shared utilities, typically the landlord will pay for the utilities and raise the rent accordingly. However, I'd make sure the door between the two units locks and is fire rated...such as an exterior door.