The owner wants me to send him a $1000 to his bank and he will mail me the keys to the house. sounds kinda fishy to me. what do you think?

Asked by Ken Kaluakini, Placentia, CA Thu Sep 5, 2013

Answers

14
JR Thrasher, Agent, San Diego, CA
Fri Sep 6, 2013
Mail me $1000 and I'll send you a set of keys too!

J.R. Thrasher
http://www.SanDiegoRealEstateVeterans.com
619-929-0105
Ingrid Ski R…, Agent, Mission Viejo, CA
Thu Dec 19, 2013
Too good to be true
It's a scam

Should be working with a realtor to get the correct Information and be protected
Melissa Goss, , Center Moriches, NY
Thu Dec 19, 2013
Just NO... Its a 100% scam- google the situation, thousands have been scammed doing this same thing... NEVER EVER SEND MONEY FOR KEYS!
gakdr, , Garden Grove, CA
Thu Dec 19, 2013
Are you currently living near each other? If so, a personal meeting is possible and advisable. Are you renting the house? Do you have a lease agreement? Are you and the owner going to sign a lease agreement? Without this agreement, you have nothing.

You have not provided enough information to give you an intelligent answer, but off the cuff, what you describe is not the way things are usually done. I would not enter into such an agreement.
David Pham, Agent, Garden Grove, CA
Fri Sep 6, 2013
There are lots of scam outthere, and this sounds like one of those.
James Wehner, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Sep 5, 2013
If it sounds too good to be true....... guess what? It is! It's very unfortunate how many people fall for this scam. I receive calls asking for help from tenants once they've already sent their money and say they haven't received their keys yet. It's best to deal through REALTORS, and avoid the odds of becoming a victim to these type of scams.
Michelle Car…, Agent, Coppertino, AL
Thu Sep 5, 2013
Do not send any money! I can tell you with 99.9% certainty this is a scam. Gather all the info you can (phone #, address, IP address, etc.) and call and report it to your County's District Attorney's Real Estate Fraud unit. Again, do NOT send any money.
jean dhaliwal, Agent, ALISO VIEJO, CA
Thu Sep 5, 2013
My house is already in escrow, its not for rent, do not send any money to anyone who is claiming the
ownership.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Thu Sep 5, 2013
I will make this very clear

RUN as FAST as you can in the opposite direction!!!!

This is a SCAM!

NEVER wire money for keys to anyone unless you have met them in person, have seen the home and verified you are dealing with the landlord or true agent!

Let me guess - the rent sounds almost too good to be true (that's because it isn't true!) The person is out of the area and can't personally show you the house?
All red flags!!!
allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Thu Sep 5, 2013
Sounds like another Craigslist scam!
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Sep 5, 2013
You know better, Ken; it's a scam.
Ingrid Ski R…, Agent, Mission Viejo, CA
Thu Sep 5, 2013
That is a SCAM... Never send money to anyone and they say they will send you keys via mail..
You should be working with an agent who can discern the difference and call the other agents to be sure you are really getting a place...
Have to be very careful with the internet.. I have had them scam a couple of properties of mine....

Contact me so I can help you in finding a place..

Ingrid Ski Realtor
949-874-0432
OCAreaHomes@gmail.com
Joe Homs, Agent, Laguna Hills, CA
Thu Sep 5, 2013
Ken,

Do NOT send any money. It's a scam if he will not meet in person and let you in to the home. Deal with a realtor to avoid these situations.

Joe Homs
Web Reference:  http://Www.thehomsteam.com
Debbie Wong, Agent, Burlingame, CA
Thu Sep 5, 2013
Be careful there are a lot of rental scams out there, especially on Craigslist! Ask to meet with the owners Realtor or Property.
But Thank you for the input
Flag Thu Sep 5, 2013
He dose not have a Realtor. He says he lives out of state. Western Union Sound's like a scam.
Flag Thu Sep 5, 2013