Is it challenging to find an apartment in Boston if you own a dog?

Asked by Trulia Boston, Boston, MA Wed Jan 30, 2013

Answers

10
Mathew Ames, Agent, Duxbury, MA
Wed Jan 30, 2013
It's easier to find a parking spot in the North End.
Web Reference:  http://www.matames.com
Angela M Sch…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Fri May 16, 2014
Good Afternoon,

It is a challenge however it is still possible. I specialize in all of Boston and we can make it happen.

Please feel free to email me angela@goodrichresidential.com or call 617.763.0369.

I'd love to help.

Have a great day!
Paul Philli…, Agent, Brookline, MA
Wed Jan 30, 2013
You certainly have to plan ahead and get started early. If you only have one dog and it is small, that makes it easier. There are a few landlords that I deal with that will accept a dog. Let me know if I can help.
Rafael Herna…, Agent, Roslindale, MA
Wed Jan 30, 2013
It definitely is. Unless you own most landlords we deal with don't usually like taking dogs and when they do, they have many restrictions.
Leah Mushi, Agent, BOSTON, MA
Wed Jan 30, 2013
It really depends on the Landlord. In my experience Luxury Rentals mostly accept dogs . And most Landlords who accept dogs have Breed and weight restrictions. So it really depends on your Budget and where you would like to live.

Any questions, Feel Free to contact me at 617-791-1464.

Leah Mushi.

Web Reference : http://Bostonsluxuryproperties.com
Mario Pavli, Agent, Boston, MA
Wed Jan 30, 2013
It all depends in which neighborhood in Boston you would like to live. Overall it is a bit tough since landlord usually don't prefer pets in their units or buildings.

Best Of Luck
Alexandra Ro…, Agent, Medfield, MA
Wed Jan 30, 2013
I am also a landlord and I allow pets with certain exceptions. If you own what insurance companies consider to be an aggressive breed, the landlord will most likely be forced to change insurance carriers and to pay a hefty premium. If you have a non-aggressive breed dog you should be able to find something.
Stephen Bour…, Agent, Brookline, MA
Wed Jan 30, 2013
Yes, it's difficult but not impossible. A limited number of landlords allow dogs and those that do have size and breed restrictions.

When looking at apartments that are dog friendly you will make compromises in location, price or quality... Obviously, quality will be pricey.
Andrew Kahl, , Boston, MA
Wed Jan 30, 2013
The reason it is hard to find an apartment in Boston while owning a dog is because the landlord must pay for the insurance on the dog. Even if you have your own renter's insurance ( which you should) it can be very difficult. That being said, the breed, weight and amount of your budget are all parts of finding an apartment. The majority of luxury buildings (price example $2500 1bd) will accept dogs. Also, the South End/Brighton/Somerville are some neighborhoods where dogs seem to be accepted more often.

Honestly, you are better off commuting into the city if you would like to own a dog. And once you find an apartment, NEVER move.

I hope this helps.
Joshua Kelle…, Agent, Boston, MA
Wed Jan 30, 2013
It depends on size and breed as well as your budget. Most areas have an abundance of pet friendly listings if your pet is well trained and/or under 25 pounds... Feel free to contact me as I have a large amount of pet friendly listings.

-Joshua Kellerman
617-680-9446