I signed a business lease but it never receive occupancy do I still need to pay rent if they will not let me operate my business

Asked by Sparky, 60402 Sun Mar 6, 2011

I am renting a commercial building it has been vacant for years the village says it has never receive occupancy and will not let me operate my business until the landlord needs to finish some improvements do i still pay rent when i also did the build out

Answers

3
Suzanne Hami…, Agent, Orland Park, IL
Sun Mar 6, 2011
I agree. You may need to speak with an attorney about this, but it depends on how your lease reads. But one question, I have never done a lease that the broker does not ask what your business is. Did you tell the broker or lessor? Only the written really makes a difference, but if you told them what you did and they had knoweldge of that, an attorney may be able to use that for leverage to get you out of the lease. Also, negotitation with the lessor may be possible. Read your lease and talk to the lessor. Maybe you can work it out. If not, consult an attorney.
Sarah Grossm…, , Oak Park, IL
Sun Mar 6, 2011
The answer to this depends on how your lease reads. I would speak to your attorney and ask them to help you weight your options. Should you need a referal to a good real estate attorney please let me know.
Web Reference:  http://www.ravenguzik.com
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Mar 6, 2011
Much will depend on your agreement and lease, review the documents--or consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate...