For Rent in 92103>Question Details

Malou Rogers, Renter in San Diego County, CA

I saw a posting for 1620 Torrance St 92103 and inquired. The person said he was overseas in the Phillipines for a company for 2 yrs and wanted a good

Asked by Malou Rogers, San Diego County, CA Mon Feb 11, 2013

tenant. I sent the info.l and he ammediately approved it and texted me and wanted $2000 TO SEND THE KEYS BY ups COURIER AND i WEND MONEY BY WESTERN UNION It sounds fishy - I went by and the house looked occupied and a car from FLorida was in the driveway. I think you should pull the ad and check it out -

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in 92103

Do not send this person ANY money. This certainly sounds like a classic scam, and unless if you want to go into researching it to the core, I would drop this place and move on. Don't waste your time and money. It's always important to feel 100% comfortable with your transactions. If your instincts tell you that something is fishy, (particularly when they are asking you to wire money) it probably is. I wish you the best of luck with your search!

Jennifer Hess
HB Roswell Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 11, 2013
I pray you did not send him money in any form! This is a huge scam! It is prevalent. Be very careful!

If you really want to send your hard earned money to a stanger why don't you send it to me?
This a complete SCAM. There is a link on the Trulia listing that says FLAG. Please click it to report this to Trulia. Thank you for being a good Samaritan!

Sinead McAllister
McAllister Homes Real Estate
Absolutely a classic Craigslist scam. Do not send them any money. Also, be careful as you may have provided these crooks with sensitive information being you are approved.

Good luck and kudos for realizing it was a scam. Unfortunately many people do not realize until it is too late.

Wesley Guest
Web Reference:
you need to be careful with rentals listed on the internet. they are often scams. Never send money. and never send your personal information. I really hope you did not send your social security number with your application to this person. If you did, put a flag on your credit right away.

good luck in your housing search. It's a great time to buy instead of rent!
There are several "red flags" within this "ad" -- some of which have to do with the method of payment the alleged landlord is seeking to acquire the lease money and some having to do with speed with which he "approved" your application. Did he even request a "Credit Report" from you? If not there is definitely a problem. If so, did he have sufficient time to verify the information prior to his having "accepted" your offer?

I just checked the MLS here in San Diego, and found no active rental listing for 1620 Torrance St at this time. Not all landlords put rentals on the MLS, however, a great many of them do just that. Personally, if I was trying to rent out my own property, the very FIRST thing I would do is put it on the MLS where it would get the highest EXPOSURE to potential qualified renters.

If in your shoes, I personally would avoid sending this person any money. You might want to contact a Realtor you trust and ask them if they can find you a good rental.

Greg Burnham, CEO
Burnham Residential, Inc |
Direct: 858.761.4000

Harcourts Pacific Realty
This is a scam, do not send them any money. Never send money to people you don't meet in person (or their agent) and without seeing the property. I would knock on the door and talk to the occupants.

Best of luck.

Fay Yates

This is definitely a scam. Anything involving Western Union "wires" is a scam.

If you want to be certain, just knock on the door and talk to the folks.