I'm looking in San Jose for a house or town house for rent budget is $1,300 looking for a 2-3bd I have three kids. Looking to move October 1st

Asked by Sandra Franco, San Jose, CA Thu Sep 6, 2012

I saw a rental but not sure how to get in contact with the renter

Answers

2
Grace Hanamoto’s answer
Grace Hanamo…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Thu Sep 6, 2012
Hi Sandra:

That's a toughie and the budget you have is the "sweet spot" for so many other renters, and it is also, I caution you, a price range in which a lot of rental "scammers" tend to be targeting. So here's my suggestion, if you need to find a home, there are three places to look:

1. Here on Trulia in the rental section--see what's listed and start contacting homeowners
2. Craigslist
3. Work with a reputable real estate agent in the area where you'd like to live

Also, beware of the following clues that you may be dealing with a scammer:

1. The homeowner tells you that he or she is out of town or not around and cannot show you the home without first receiving a deposit from you.
2. The homeowner or landlord tells you that you don't need to send them a deposit, but you can, instead wire money to a friend and give the landlord the receipt to show you're good for the money;
3. The landlord has an extremely common name likes "Jones" or "Smith" and the name does NOT match the county records for the name of the actual homeowner for the property
4. The landlord uses bizarre English within the sentence of their emails ore responses to you, or uses an overabundance of references to "Love of God" or "God" or blesses you profusely.

Most importantly, a reputable Realtor will place a sign for rent in front of the unit that is being rented, will have a contact number where the landlord can be reached and will be able to show you the home for rent WITHOUT ASKING FOR MONEY FIRST before you sign a rental agreement. Working with a reputable agent in your area will also help you minimize being involved in a rental scam.

Be careful and be aware of possible problems. When in doubt, you can always ask us if the request sounds funny or suspicious. Good luck!
charles butt…, Agent, san jose, CA
Thu Sep 6, 2012
Thank you for your question Sandra:

Unfortunately the rents here in the San Jose area are much higher than your budget of $1,300 per month.

If you saw an advertisement for a property of the type that you describe for $1,300 per month, in the San Jose area, it was probably a scam designed to steal your deposit money or to steal your identity

For more information, you can call me at my cell phone: (4080509-6218

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872
.