I have a 5-6 bedroom section 8'voucher..looking to move into a house..in the suburbs OUTSIDE OF CHICAGO. Im a nursr and I need to move asap.

Asked by Annareese Butler, Clinton, WI Sun Nov 10, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Suzanne Hamilton’s answer
Suzanne Hami…, Agent, Orland Park, IL
Mon Nov 11, 2013

If you have a CHA voucher, you will need to do a portability to HACC, the cook county authority or another authority in the suburbs. Porting out takes a couple of months usually. In practice, it takes 2-3 weeks for CHA to process your paperwork and then give to new authority. Then it takes them a little while to process you and get you a briefing date to get your moving papers. Usually another 2-3 weeks. Keep that timetimable in mind. You should not start looking for a place until the new authority at least has scheduled your briefing. Otherwise, there is too much of a lag time as it takes several weeks once a landlord has signed moving papers to have an inspection and move.

You can only port 1x per year, so you need to choose the right county or authority to move into. And keep in mind that you will not have the same voucher amount always when you port. Different authority sometimes different rules. I do have a leasing agent who can help you once you get your briefing date.
0 votes
Annareese Bu…, Home Buyer, Clinton, WI
Wed Nov 13, 2013
I have my moving papers already for cook county..I dont want to move to chicago..lol..please help me if u can..my email is annareesebutler@yahoo.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more