For Rent in Cheyenne>Question Details

Lindamcfarla…, Home Buyer in Cheyenne, WY

I get so upset. Iam a responable Pet owner, this is no such thing as bad dog, just bad pet owners.

Asked by Lindamcfarland45, Cheyenne, WY Sat Jun 2, 2012

Actually, there are bad dogs. But that has nothing to do with anything. I manage 160 rentals and EVERY applicant that walks in my door tells me their dog is the best behaved dog in the world. It's crate trained, never barks, cleans up it's own poop, and has pulled five babies from burning buildings. The truth is, dogs have accidents. They occasionally chew things. They bark. Owners don't clean up after them.

I can have ten renters with dogs that are excellent, then I get one that wreaks havoc on a place and costs the owner thousands in cleaning or repairs. Do you honestly believe a Landlord is being unfair by protecting his property?

I highly encourage owners to accept pets with restrictions on the number, size, and certain breeds. I also require an increased deposit and require a professional carpet cleaning at their expense when they move out. Finally, I make them sign an addendum that spells out my requirements and shows that violations may be grounds for eviction. It works very well!
I 100% agree with Nathan. We are dog owners and landlords. We've had responsible tenants with great dogs who leave the place spotless when they move out. However, we also, have had rental units left with pet urine smell in the carpet, holes clawed in doors, and drywall corners chewed up. Even our own dogs have caused damage to our property a time or two.

Lately I've been requiring rental applicants with dogs to show me proof of completion of an obedience course or they can bring the dog along when they apply to show the dogs is well behaved and trained with basic commands. Of course any seemingly well behaved dog can cause damage, but usually the owners that are willing to do this care enough that they are good responsible pet owners. ...because yes, there are definitely bad pet owners.

Nathan, I like your pet addendum approach. Any chance you can share a copy of that addendum with us?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 3, 2012
I tend to agree as well. Too many times it is the actions or lack of action by the owner. the problem is when this lack of action costs so much in money and time for repairs, landlords decide on a straight pet ban because of it.
Web Reference:
duly noted .
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL